Are my beers infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmiller224

Reaction score
My first pic is a lager that didn't get down to the right fg so I rehydrated dry yeast and poured in. I keep everything super sanitary and sanitize everything. I just repitched more yeast because it stayed at the same gravity as before.
The second picture is a pale ale I was dry hopping I santized the bag and the marbles (soaked them in star san) I used to weigh down the bag but I had a wispy layer on top.

image-1875542773.jpg

image-1632533450.jpg

They sure don't look good.

The first one has a definite thick pellicle- it looks like it's been in the fermenter for a while. There is a definite krausen ring that shows that fermentation occurred some time before but maybe due to all the headspace after that it got infected?

The second one is hard to say as it could be the beginning of an infection but it's hard to see it very well in the picture.

They both look like they've got wild yeast and/or bacteria in them. Ditto Yoopers comments on the first beer, that's a pellicle for sure. In the second picture, it's the bubbles in the middle that give it away. The bubbles have a sort of opaque scum and are the beginning of a pellicle in that one, too.

What is exactly is a pellicle? and my lager has been in there since april 25... probaly to much head space for that amount of time...

I'd never really thought about exactly what it is, probably yeast. But it's the stuff on top of your beer. It's formed by brettanomyces, other wild yeasts, and some bacteria, primarily to protect it/them from oxygen.

What is exactly is a pellicle? and my lager has been in there since april 25... probaly to much head space for that amount of time...

Yes, two months is a long time in a bucket with that much headspace!

A pellicle is that "coating" on the top. It's a film or skin on top of the beer.

There are lots of different kinds of infections common in beer, but that one looks a bit like brettanomyces in the picture.

looks like you have 1 full blown sour lager and possibly a sour pale ale. how do they taste?

I haven't had a pellicle that looks like the top, you might try the pellicle photo collection to see if you can identify:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/

Given the little white rafts, a really thin looking pellicle, and the large bubbles, the bottom pic looks like a good candidate for brett to me.

The good news is that you now have a reason to buy new brewing equipment :).

Soo I should throw out my bucket and stuff?? Brett's that bad?? Also I haven't tried it... Maybe I should but they prob taste pretty bad...

Soo I should throw out my bucket and stuff?? Brett's that bad?? Also I haven't tried it... Maybe I should but they prob taste pretty bad...

you do not have to throw your bucket away, brett is not immune to soap or star san, just like any other yeast. you have 2 infections in 2 different buckets so the source could have been something other than the buckets that both beers passed through. take all of your gear, put it in a pile then clean it all at once with non detergent soap, or a properly diluted bleach solution (or whatever cleaner you want) then spray it all down with star san. do it twice then let it all dry before stowing it away. i fill a kiddie pool with water and use on my cleaning day. or you could throw it all away, get new gear and when you get another infection throw all of that gear away, buy new gear and so on.

I don't think it came from my equipment but I do know something's that I tried to do when it was fermenting that maybe messed it up... This it what it looks like right now

image-2654366463.jpg

Back