potassium metabisulphite question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
I'm using this (50g for 4 L dissolution IIRC) to do my sanitizing of equipment before putting it in my cool wort.

I was wondering what are the do/don't with it. I use a spray bottle to spray on my items 3-4 second before I put it in the wort. Is this a good way of using it?

Before I take wort to test my gravity I put liquid directly in my tester, shake it, remove the liquid and then take wort in the fermenter. Is that a good technique?

K-meta doesn't sanitize nearly that quickly. I haven't used it in a while to sanitize, so hopefully someone else chimes in, but I'm pretty sure equipment will take at least 2min of contact time with the sanitizer to effectively work.

K-meta doesn't sanitize nearly that quickly. I haven't used it in a while to sanitize, so hopefully someone else chimes in, but I'm pretty sure equipment will take at least 2min of contact time with the sanitizer to effectively work.

I was told by the guys at my homebrewshop that it was near-instant. You spray, don't wipe, don't rinse and dip. But as a carefull person I'm confirming what I'm being told. I'm a bit skeptical that they could be this wrong but heh nobody's perfect.

I could be wrong but I don't believe it's an instant sanitizer. I'm not sure that such a thing even exists. Even Iodophor or Star-San, the two most common sanitizers used in beer brewing, take a minute to do their thing.

Back