PartiGyle Festbock/Amerian Red... Suggestions needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeICR

Reaction score
I've tried to parigyle once before and it didn't work perfectly. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Anyway, with lager season coming, I want to remake a Festbock I made last year. The recipe needs some tweaking, but the components are (in order of amount used) Munich, Vienna, Pilsner, Chocolate (just for colour) and hallertauer to 24ibus. It takes almost 15lbs of grain and starts at OG1.070.

With such a large grain bill I'd like to maximize my return. I know I want a full 5.5 gallons of the festbock. Could I get another 5 to 5.5 gallons of wort around 1.045 for a red ale or Munich Dunkel?

How do I partigyle a lager? Do I skip the decoctions?

I have never done a partigyle.

I would note however that your thread title is good and that leads to having appropriate related posts show up at the bottom of the page. I'd go check those out.

I've never done a lager. But partigyling is easy. Calculating what you will end up with can be tricky, depending on how precise you want to be. I have only done it with a batch sparge process, though. That automatically splits the runnings into gyles. Two for me, usually. In my experience, with all gyles having equal volumes, the gravity of the first will be slightly more than that of the second, which will be slightly more than that of the third, if you do a third. I also find I get about 3-4% higher efficiency doing 3 rather than 2. I also find that the actual split seems to vary about 3 percentage points, randomly, probably due to poor volume measurements.

I use a spreadsheet to track total mash volume and its liquid component to make my volumes work out. I am doing infusions--never done a decoction, but it seems like it should still work the same way. Remember to do separate hop calculations. Good luck. Getting a free batch of smaller beer is awesome.

Latest posts

Back