Total Beer Geek Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
I posted this here, because I'm not sure if this actually a neat idea, or if it's beer-induced faux-inspiration.

I'm thinking of making my Pale Ale recipe into "1056" ale.

The SG will be 1.056
I'll make 10 gallons of 56 IBU beer.
Yeast will (of course) be WYeast 1056.

I'm trying to think of more ways to incorporate "1056" into it. This is totally for the purposes of pleasing my inner homebrew nerd.

BTW, 1056 is by far the yeast I use the most. Maybe this is a tribute....

EDIT: Crap! I should brew 10.56 gallons!

nice recipe. i guess it's such a light it doesn't show up?

Sorry....

My intent was to post the concept of this recipe. I have not fully formulated it, it was just a random DRUNKEN RAMBLING. :tank:

My apologies for not clarifying that in the OP.

When and if I actually brew this, there will be a full recipe. :rolleyes:

Very interesting idea! I couldn't come up with any other 1056 references.

That's probably a light IPA, not a pale ale. You'll want to mash high, or get plenty crystal malt in there to help balance the hops with the smallish malt bill. That's what I'd do, anyway.

You might look into famous people born/died in year 1056, or perhaps any famous events that year.

Mash at 156 (the zero is hidden)

Also, as referenced above, hop additions could be at 56 minutes and at 10 minutes...ok, maybe that's a little too dyslexic...

Oo, I hadn't thought of SRM...hm...

I am inspired enough to actually brew this tomorrow. As I have it put together right now it will be:

10 Gallons
56 IBUS
10.56 oz hops
hop additions at 10, 5, 6.
1.056 OG
WYeast 1056 yeast.
Mashed at 156.0
I won't be able to start at 10:56 because I need a few small items and LHBS opens at 11:00.

I don't know if I have what I need to make it 10 SRM, I usually just use MO and CaraPils in a pale ale. If I have some chocolate malt or something, I'll add just enough to darken it a hair.

Oo, I hadn't thought of SRM...hm...

I am inspired enough to actually brew this tomorrow. As I have it put together right now it will be:

10 Gallons
56 IBUS
10.56 oz hops
hop additions at 10, 5, 6.
1.056 OG
WYeast 1056 yeast.
Mashed at 156.0
I won't be able to start at 10:56 because I need a few small items and LHBS opens at 11:00.

I don't know if I have what I need to make it 10 SRM, I usually just use MO and CaraPils in a pale ale. If I have some chocolate malt or something, I'll add just enough to darken it a hair.

Roast 1.56lbs of the MO in the oven for ten minutes and 56 seconds to darken it up a tad. =)

Also, 1+0+5+6=12 - so make sure when you first tap the brew, you drink twelve pints the first evening! :tank:

(hey, the subforum is drunken ramblings... right? ;))

Roast 1.56lbs of the MO in the oven for ten minutes and 56 seconds to darken it up a tad. =)

Also, 1+0+5+6=12 - so make sure when you first tap the brew, you drink twelve pints the first evening! :tank:

(hey, the subforum is drunken ramblings... right? ;))

Well, 12 on the first tap is standard practice already, so that shouldn't be too hard! ;)

If you have a scale that's accurate enough, you should make all the hop additions 1.056 ounces.

With the three additions (plus one a little earlier to up IBUs), the additions are about 3 times that amount. I suppose I could parse them into different bowls just for the principle of the whole thing...

Back