Some guidance and or suggestions please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad32

Reaction score
Guys/Gals -

Since picking up brewing after a long layoff, I have really been working on expanding my exposure to different beers. I have become a fan of Belgium beers especially blonde ales. While I love the dubels/trippels they just lay me out too fast! =)

Can you folks point me to some blonde ales I need to try?

Also, in regards to brewing blonde, which is high on the agenda, what hops strains work well in them? I am really looking for a balanced beer (not overly hoppy). While I do love hops, I am finding that too high an IBU count and I get an upset stomach. Its bad enough where I cringe when offered an IPA/APA...I love them but pay for it later.

If you have not tried these: Duvel is a good standard for the style I have also had La Cuvée des Trolls both on tap. They both were good but I am just not a fan of belgian yeast flavors.

Another beer that you may like to try is: Flying dog Woody Creek White. It is a wheat beer and a Belgian all rolled into one. It is VERY unique IMO.

Check out BM's Centennial Blonde. Very very tasty blonde ale. He uses's centennial and cascade for the hopse, but isn't very hoppy and nicely balanced.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

That DOES look tasty! Cheap grain bill as well. That one is going on the list. Thanks for the referral!

If you have not tried these: Duvel is a good standard for the style I have also had La Cuvée des Trolls both on tap. They both were good but I am just not a fan of belgian yeast flavors.

Another beer that you may like to try is: Flying dog Woody Creek White. It is a wheat beer and a Belgian all rolled into one. It is VERY unique IMO.

I do enjoy Duvel, though I have yet to sample it on tap...only bottles in this area. Oklahoma has some of the most backward beer laws! I have seen La Cuvee and will make that I high priority to check out. I can understand not digging on the Belgium yeasts...they can be a bit much if you get a banana boat. I guess I am just not a banana fan.

I havent run across the Flying Dog...I will keep my eyes peeled. I do enjoy wheats, in fact that's what I have been brewing mostly of late.

Yeah, the first blonde (and subsequently the first AG batch I did) was that centennial blonde. It's an easy beer to brew and definitely a cheap bill.

If its Belgian beers you're going for and you do Biermuncher's recipe, I'd switch out the Notty for a liquid belgian strain (might be a dry one now too?). Notty's not gonna give you any of the esters that you're looking for if you've been drinking other Belgians.

As far as hops, I've found that any of the noble hops will work pretty well. Most are low AA so you can keep the IBUs down, and generally I'll only do one 60 min. addition and let the yeast gimme the rest of the flavors. Something like Saaz, Tett,or Hallertau, nice and spicy hops that will go well with the Belgian yeast.

Back