BIAB thermometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weagle

Reaction score
I just got a Blichmann 10 gallon pot and hope to start doing all grain BIAB batches soon. I noticed that the thermometer sticks out in the pot. Will this be a problem puncturing the bag or should it be no problem?

Should be fine. I have a 15 gal and dont worry about the brewmometer for all but the largest batches. I did almost a 40lb bag last weekend and used the mash paddle to keep it away from it while being pulled out.

I don't know what the equivalent sized batch is for your pot but I think it will be fine. It definitely won't puncture while mashing, just be careful pulling the bag.

I'm sure tknice is right about not having to remove the thermometer probe but I went ahead and removed mine anyways. I like to use a metal basket with my BIAB and the probe would definitely prevent the basket from fitting in the kettle. I haven't missed the built in thermometer one bit.

I'm sure tknice is right about not having to remove the thermometer probe but I went ahead and removed mine anyways. I like to use a metal basket with my BIAB and the probe would definitely prevent the basket from fitting in the kettle. I haven't missed the built in thermometer one bit.

hey seven, I almost mentioned that some people remove it. Until I moved to 10 gallon batches, the wort didn't even touch the thermometer so it was pretty much useless lol. Now that I do larger batches, it is nice to see the temp during the mash and while cooling.

How did you go about sealing up the hole in case I ever decide to remove mine?

tknice said:
How did you go about sealing up the hole in case I ever decide to remove mine?

Blichmann sells a hole plug kit specifically for this purpose. You may be able to buy it from the dealer that sold you the kettle.

Polyester voile is pretty tuff stuff IME. Unless you are careless, I doubt one would puncture or rip a bag, heat is the real enemy, anything above 3-400 degrees and it's instant game over, not that wort will ever reach these temps, but watch out for an open flame or an electric element!

Has anyone tried making something to slide over the probe while doing brew in a bag that is more rounded on the end and less likely to get caught up in the bag?

I've thought of using 1/2 or 3/4 inch copper to make a 'sleeve'. Two end caps and a long enough piece of tube to cover the probe and offer support. A hole drilled in one end cap the same diameter as the probe. May be fill it with a copper scrubby to support the end of the probe inside the tube. A few holes could be drilled in the side of the tube to allow the wort to pass through. Nothing has to be soldered to allow for easy dis-assembly and cleaning...

weagle said:
I just got a Blichmann 10 gallon pot and hope to start doing all grain BIAB batches soon. I noticed that the thermometer sticks out in the pot. Will this be a problem puncturing the bag or should it be no problem?

My friend and I BIAB 12 gallon batches in a 20 gallon Blichmann. It's a big, heavy bag coming out of the kettle and we've never had a problem with the thermometer probe getting in the way.

BIAB in a Blichmann is great - particularly if you have the false bottom which filters out a lot of trub.

My friend and I BIAB 12 gallon batches in a 20 gallon Blichmann. It's a big, heavy bag coming out of the kettle and we've never had a problem with the thermometer probe getting in the way.

BIAB in a Blichmann is great - particularly if you have the false bottom which filters out a lot of trub.

Thanks for the help. Can I boil wort with the false bottom or would it just be for mashing?

weagle said:
Thanks for the help. Can I boil wort with the false bottom or would it just be for mashing?

We put it in before we fill the kettle with water and we don't take it out until we've transferred to our fermenters. But it really only does anything at transfer - it just filters the break and hops.

RE:"Blichmann 10 gallon pot and hope to start doing all grain BIAB batches soon. I noticed that the thermometer sticks out in the pot. Will this be a problem puncturing the bag or should it be no problem?"

I find the Bichmann Hop Blocker fills the space under the Brewmometer probe, keeping the bag from getting hung up on the probe.

bag in place.jpg

boil screen view.jpg

Back