Orange Zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I am making a Summer Ale that calls for 1 oz of orange zest the last 10 minutes of boiil.

Can I go ahead and leave zest in the wort when I transfer to fermenter or should I perhaps put it in a muslin bag>?

Wondering if orange peel shavings will create a potential bacteria issue in fermenter even though they are boiling for 10 minutes.

Thanks!

Put them in a bag so you can fish them out easily and not have to worry about them clogging you racking cane later. They will not be a problem for contamination after 10 minutes of boiling.

GT

I hadn't even thought about the issue of them clogging the racking cane......in a muslin bag they go....thanks! :mug:
I totally agree with the muslin bag. I brewed a navel orange hefeweizen two weeks ago, and I put 4 whole peeled oranges (diced into quarters) and the zest of three of those oranges into the primary after they were boiled. The temperature should kill off anything that would cause problems in fermentation.

Latest posts

Back