Plastic PET Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman1972

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to home brewing. I have quite a few Mr. Beer batches under my belt, whick I know is not real brewing, but I did make some pretty good beer. The questions I have is. Since I have used a Mr Beer kit for some time I have a lot of the 1 liter amber PET bottles. Aer those suitable for bottling a 5 gallon batch. I have 24 of them and I figured why spen the extra money on glass bottles if I dont need to right now. I have my forst brew in the fermenter, I brewed it on Monday. It is Witbier extract kit from Brewers Best.

I used Mr. Beer plastic bottles, went to glass when I went up to 5 gallon batches, and have now switched back to 1 liter PET exclusively. Just too many advantages to plastic to pass up, in my opinion.

I have found it interesting that I cannot find 1-liter PET (brown) anywhere except Mr. Beer. I've scoured the web and my local home brew stores (2 of them) with no luck. Lots of 500 ml but no 1-liter. So Mr, Beer still gets a little of my business.

DJG

P.S. - I think Mr. Beer really is beer making, just not quite as sophisticated as some here would believe...

PET bottles are great for bottling since there is no fiddling around with caps.

B

I love my Mr Beer PET bombs! Each batch I put some beer in those and keep them for my own personal consumption...Everyone else gets 12 oz glass...It saves me a little time and effort.

I used Mr. Beer plastic bottles, went to glass when I went up to 5 gallon batches, and have now switched back to 1 liter PET exclusively. Just too many advantages to plastic to pass up, in my opinion.

I have found it interesting that I cannot find 1-liter PET (brown) anywhere except Mr. Beer. I've scoured the web and my local home brew stores (2 of them) with no luck. Lots of 500 ml but no 1-liter. So Mr, Beer still gets a little of my business.

DJG

P.S. - I think Mr. Beer really is beer making, just not quite as sophisticated as some here would believe...

They aren't amber in color, but you can by 1 liter bottles of no sodium seltzer water in clear bottles. I use these when I am transferring from the keg to take to friends houses, works pretty well!

I use a couple of 1L PET bottles with each batch. One advantage is that they get more difficult to squeeze as they carb up, so you have some sort of crude indicator as to whether the carb process is working. Remember not to use a bottle brush when you clean them, they will scratch.:mug:

I also have some 45 Cooper's pet bottles at 25.16oz,some 740ml. The black screw on caps last through many uses as well. Just a soak in PBW & rinse. But don't use hot water or brushes on them. It doesn't take much exposure to hot water to warp them.

Back