Let's Play: Will It Convert!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasherb

Reaction score
Today's special guest: 18mo Old Marris Otter

Any guesses?
Will I get starch water or sugar water?

Tune in tomorrow to find out....

Kept in a dry or moist environment? Like a gremlin, get it wet and see what happens! :D

I'll be here tomorrow................If I wake up! :D

My money is on complete, expected conversion.

But the only question is, will it have good flavor?

This gives me the sudden urge to use up all the odds n ends I've laying around.
I vote for 75% conversion, just because someone has to!

If it doesn't smell funny, doesn't feel funny, taste funny, or doesn't look funny -- You have a winner. But I'll say 76% just because someone has to offset the bet from Agent.:)

I'm going to be the outlier... you know, that one guy or that one data point that royally f**ks up every study or survey.

So here we go: 0-5% conversion.

WIN!

Pre-chewed some of the grain. Tasted toasty, malty, and grainy. Passes the taste test!

Yes, I do plan on mashing it. Just did, in fact....

Full conversion!

Will post back with eff...

Should we expect low efficiency from 18 month old malts? If so should we increase amounts to make up for it? I always figured if it tastes, smells OK, and did not get wet and moldy just use it as normal.

79% efficiency. Wort tastes great. Looks like we have a winner!

Will it convert?

Yes! (this time at least)

I have about 20lbs left in the sack....

Should we expect low efficiency from 18 month old malts? If so should we increase amounts to make up for it? I always figured if it tastes, smells OK, and did not get wet and moldy just use it as normal.

if you keep malt dry and rid of bugs it just gets stale with age.

it will still make beer, just not as fresh and as good as newly malted malts do.

I've made beer with almost three year old malts before. It was beer... just not the freshest tasting brew you would want after spending all that time brewing and making it into beer.

For the beans beer, go ahead and do it :eek:.

It will make "beer" but it tastes like arse. Our work tried to develope a gluten free beer using peas as the base, and if you could get past the rotting garbage smell and the off grey colour, it tasted like really bad beer.

Latest posts

Back