bottles to keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pschrey109

Reaction score
This may seem like a crazy question but I have recently, as many here have said, gotten tired of bottling and have recently purchased two corny kegs. I have a batch of hefeweisen that has been sitting in bottles for two months. The beer in the bottles never carbonated but tastes pretty good.
I'm wondering if it is possible or wise to pour the bottled beer into one of the kegs and then carbonate it with CO2?
Don't know if this is a waste of time and I should just start a new batch or try to salvage the already brewed hefe.
Thanks
pete

Sure you could do that and force carbonate it in about a week. The problem is exposure to oxygen might cause it to go bad. I'd pour carefully and slowly or better yet siphon it into the corny to reduce the amount of oxygenation slap it in the fridge connected to CO2 for a week and the drink it quickly as it might not keep fresh for very long.

Or you might try adding a little more sugar to a bottle and see how it does in a month or so.

Purge the corny with co2 first, then just try to keep the beer at the same level as the opening while you pour. Works like a champ.

When you think about it, you have nothing to lose. I'd put the keg on a 45 degree angle and just carefully pour it down the side to keep it from splashing too much. When you hit it with gas, purge the keg a few times to make sure any O2 can get out.

Where did you have the bottles stored? My fermenters are in the basement, but I keep my bottles upstairs for the first couple weeks. My first batch didn't carbonate either because it was sitting directly on the cold basement floor.

I'm also an exception to the rule. I kegged once and am going back to bottles. Excluding the hassle of taking of labels, bottling isn't much more work and I prefer the carbonation that came from bottle conditioning over forced carb.

Back