Sour wheat cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing_on_the_Internet

Reaction score
This post is to share what I made yesterday and get some feedback about it.

I made a pear cider with wheat DME added and fermented with wine yeast and brett. Wine yeast was added increase ester production by brett. Wheat and maltodextrine was added to leave something that wine yeast can't metabolize

My Process
- Enough pears were pressed to yield 2.25 gallons of juice at 1.080.
- Campden was added

24 hr later
- juice siphoned from under a layer of pulp that had floated to the surface
- 1 lbs Briess wheat DME , 2 oz maltodextrine, yeast nutrient boiled in .75 gallons of water.
- added to pear juice
- ec-1118 and starter made from an orval bottle added to fermentor.

og- 1.075

It's been about 20 days since I pitched the yeast in this. There is a musty, compost/manure odour(not in an unpleasant way) coming out of the airlock.

The odour is much stronger than a Berliner weisse I pitched Orval dregs in 2 1/2 months ago. This may be due to the wine yeast producing esters/phenols that brett easily converts, a larger amount of fermentables left over after the primary yeast is done, and due to co-inoculation of brett along side primary yeast.

I'll take a gravity sample in a month or so. Highly carbonated and dry, this should make a nice drink in small quantities.

Back