Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Dedicated Sping Water Soda Water Machine Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
roger55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

See if you can get this one for less than I paid for mine. Looks almost new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McCanns-Mani...item460ea405cc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My wife had a little fun at the soda fill area in the garage.
It looks like wallpaper but she painted the stripes. She found the sign somewhere and framed it.
Pretty cool.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
ladodger34
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Btw, I'm now a big believer in the new information that's coming out about sugar being a toxin. My cholesterol and triglycerides are dramatically lower than they were.
I'm not a dietician or anything like that (heck, I have a BA in English), but I think saying that kind of stuff is dangerous. Sugar is what fuels our body. It is our energy source.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladodger34 View Post
I'm not a dietician or anything like that (heck, I have a BA in English), but I think saying that kind of stuff is dangerous. Sugar is what fuels our body. It is our energy source.
I explain my btw statement but I'll just make this one post about it as I don't what to take this thread off-topic. We can move the discussion to a new General Chit Chat thread if you or anyone else wants to continue it. If anyone would like me to create the thread, please PM me and I'll do it.

I'm not a dietitian or an expert in the field of any kind but have done a lot of research on the topic over the last 6 months after my doctor expressed some concerns about my health.

You are correct that sugar (specifically glucose) is the fuel for our body. But the sugar I'm talking about reducing in my diet are specifically sucrose (50% glucose, 50% fructose) and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) which is typically 45% glucose and 55% fructose. So, sucrose and HFCS are essentially the same.

There is a doctor (Robert Lustig) who is a Pediatric Endocrinologist at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) where he is a Professor of Clinical Pediatrics. He has labled fructose as a toxin. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.

From my research, many in the medical and nutritional fields are backing the findings in his studies. He has just this year published a book and I have read it.

This is what really brought attention to him though. In May of 2009, he delivered a lecture called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" which was posted on YouTube the following July and "went viral". He didn't even know it was going to be filmed until he started the lecture.

Here's a link to that video. It's about 90 minutes long so if you are interested in it be prepared for that amount of time. Also, be prepared that it will blow your mind. This was one of the largest eye-openers of information (or mis-information) that I've ever experienced.

http://www.uctv.tv/shows/Sugar-The-Bitter-Truth-16717

This video changed my life. In three months, my triglycerides dropped from 259 to 66 and my cholesterol from 237 to 186. Most importantly, my cholestero/Hdl ratio went from bad to really good (2.7 mg/dL). I will never drink a sugar-sweetened drink again including juices even if it's freshly squeezed. I don't miss them either especially with my soda water machine!

Also, here's a short segment with Dr. Lustig that was done on CBS 60-Minutes with Sanjay Gupta:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7417238n
Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
ladodger34
Recipes 

Seriously, cool build.. and even more seriously, I stay away from sugary stuff for the most part anyways and I do agree that we eat way too much of it as a society.

Can we just say that too much sugar is a toxin?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladodger34 View Post
Seriously, cool build.. and even more seriously, I stay away from sugary stuff for the most part anyways and I do agree that we eat way too much of it as a society. Can we just say that too much sugar is a toxin?
Thanks!

I don't regret for a minute spending the money on this thing. It wasn't cheap. I'd have to add it up but over $1000. The fridge was a new scratch & dent model and was a significant part of the cost.

For an always available and on-demand soda maker, I think the only other way to go would be with a commercial soda machine with an ice maker and bin for a cold plate. I just don't think that's practical for most people.

At one time, Coca Cola made a small-office type of soda machine but they quit making them. You can still get them used and refurbed but they use proprietary parts. They are pretty cool though. I really liked the looks of them but for just soda water without flavors, what I did made more sense for us.

There's also the Sodastream but I ruled immediately that out because the of the expensive and small proprietary CO2 cannisters. Recently though, I saw on the net somewhere that someone figured out how to modify a Sodastream so a standard type of cannister and regulator would hook up to it. I don't know how one would work for the volume of soda I wanted though.

Oh, it's a yes to your question.

Reason: typo
sivispacemparabe11um Likes This 
Old 04-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #17
ladodger34
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Thanks!

I don't regret for a minute spending the money on this thing. It wasn't cheap. I'd have to add it up but over $1000. The fridge was a new scratch & dent model and was a significant part of the cost.

For an always available and on-demand soda maker, I think the only other way to go would be with a commercial soda machine with an ice maker and bin for a cold plate. I just don't think that's practical for most people.

At one time, Coca Cola made a small-office type of soda machine but they quit making them. You can still get them used and refurbed but they use proprietary parts. They are pretty cool though. I really liked the looks them but for just soda water without flavors, what I did made more sense for us.

There's also the Sodastream but I ruled immediately that out because the of the expensive and small proprietary CO2 cannisters. Recently though, I saw on the net somewhere that someone figured out how to modify a Sodastream so a standard type of cannister and regulator would hook up to it. I don't know how one would work for the volume of soda I wanted though.

Oh, it's a yes to your question.
I looked at the Sodastream stuff and there are a couple of options to get around the proprietary canisters. You can get a connection to fit it to CO2 tank like one would use in a kegerator. When I was looking at that option, people stored the tank under their counter and ran the line to the machine on top of their counter. A few more adventurous folks stored the tanks in their basements and ran the line up.

The other option that I liked (we just don't have the room right now for a tank to go under the counter) was an adapter that you put on a paintball tank. It still has the problem with using a smaller tank, but with a small investment up front (a couple of paintball tanks), the refills are a bit cheaper. I think I talked to a guy that said it was like $2 to fill up each tank. Much better than the $15 that SodaStream charges.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
sarink
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What's that second hose you're running off of the motor? And what is that clear tube that's only in one of the photos, just a pressure release?

Also, is it necessary to have the silver tank and the white reservoir in the fridge? Since the real water source ends up being that waterworks tank, shouldn't that be the only thing that has to stay cold?

Lastly, I've been trying to find a pump like you were describing. I'd really like to eliminate the pressure holding tank if I can (so at this point, would I be able to get away with just my water reservoir tank being in the fridge?). Any suggestions for finding a pump? Maybe my google-fu is weak, but I'm not having much luck... >70PSI, 120V, bypass ... there really should be a pump manufacturer website where you can type in your needs and filter down to see a selection of pumps that fit :-/

Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
roger55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarink View Post
What's that second hose you're running off of the motor?
The pressure motor inlet sucks water from the white plastic holding tank and the outlet goes to the one side of the tee under the blue pressure tank in the fridge. The carbonator motor inlet hose comes from the other side of that tee. The outlet goes to the silver carbonator tank. (In retrospect, the tee could have been put by the motors but it makes no difference. It would have saved some hose though and 1 less through the wall.)

Quote:
Also, is it necessary to have the silver tank and the white reservoir in the fridge? Since the real water source comes from that water worker pressure tank, shouldn't that be the only thing that has to stay cold?
That depends on how much short term demand you would need. I wanted to make sure my system would perform well with times of heavy usage. I also think it's not good to store drinking water in a warm room. Mine's in a garage and it gets hot in there during the summer. If you don't think your system will be used heavily and you can keep your water storage in a fairly cool place, I think you might be OK without having the water source cold. However, the way I did my system, I never introduce warm water to the system. You would be doing that but it may not effect the performance if the temperature of the water only gets reduced slightly. A larger pressure tank could help that situation. Mine is a 2 gallon tank and Water Worker makes larger versions too. I know you are trying to stay small so that may not be an option for you.
Here's a link to their tank options:
http://waterworker.client.sprintout....r_Brochure.pdf

Quote:
Lastly, I've been trying to find a pump like you were describing. I'd really like to eliminate the pressure holding tank if I can (so at this point, would I be able to get away with just my water reservoir tank being in the fridge?). Any suggestions for finding a pump? Maybe my google-fu is weak, but I'm not having much luck... >70PSI, 120V, bypass ... there really should be a pump manufacturer website where you can type in your needs and filter down to see a selection of pumps that fit :-/
I only looked at the Shurflo website and it doesn't appear that they have a bypass pump with the pressure and volume needed. Sorry, I don't know if there is one out there. I think I addressed your other question in my answer to your second question above.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
PDM
Recipes 

What are good sources for seltzer side taps or towers (to convert to drilled keg fridge)?

Quick Reply