Trimming new growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargersSB

Reaction score
So my cascades have starting to grow fairly good. They are second year hops. There are about 12 bines starting to shoot up and some are growing faster than others. Last season I trained 3 bines per string I had going up. Should I cut some of the taller ones and let them all catch up, cut the new/shorter ones, or just let them all keep going and then cut some when I start to train the three bines per rope?

attachment

Well, just read a post on this subject a couple topics below, but here is a pic of my hops anyway :)

I would not prune back the tops of the faster bines until they have reached full height. Tipping a plant like that will eliminate the production of the hormone responsible for limiting side shoot growth. As a result the plant will start growing lateral shoots instead of vertically which is probably not desired.

Interesting, okay good to know. Thanks. I'll just let them keep going and only train 3 per string and cut the ones that are still lower at that point.

Back