Three-zone Trellis Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrothOfVigor

Reaction score
In anticipation for my rhizomes to arrive this year I decided to get a head start on my trellis design. I got a bit carried away with 3D warehouse, but it helps add scale! The system will have three zones, one for each variety. The total footprint is about 24' from end to end, 9' from front to back, and 10' high. I made a thorough parts list that totals to about $360 down to the nuts and bolts of things. Do any experienced hop growers see any problems with this design? I'm super pumped. About as pumped as the folks in the picture! :tank:

sCggMlU.jpg

is that a neighbor bent over the trellis. or are you picking hops in an area where ladies of the evening wander in to your hop garden? LOL

is that a neighbor bent over the trellis. or are you picking hops in an area where ladies of the evening wander in to your hop garden? LOL

Its my SWMBO obviously! We have a large fence to keep out wandering ladies. Dont you?

On a practical note. If I use 12' 4x4's will burying them 3' and seal in with concrete be a safe bet for sturdyness? Could I get by with 2' deep? The fence rule of thumb of depth equal to half the height seems a bit excessive, (5' deep for a 10' pole above ground!)

oh my gosh, i just figured it was a pic you added for interest. i meant no offense. and I tend not to keep a fence up just for the fact of letting the ladies wander over while i'm making brew. sorry if i offended. BTW i'm jealous of your hop garden. good luck with it.

Don't worry Clover. It's more of an anticipated effect, you know? I'm hoping that the trellis induces such behavior. If 3D warehouse weren't sexually biased, I totally would have added myself as a scantily clad barbarian- but the best they had to offer was sweatpants. Nonetheless, thank you for your interest, I will be sure to report if the trellis has any behavioral altering powers (fingers crossed)

Back