Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Supporting only one plant...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Craig311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Supporting only one plant...

I have a second year cascade plant in CT that is already growing like crazy. Last year I just stuck an 8' pole in the ground and let it do it's thing. This year, I've taken the 3 strongest bines(already 3-4'), trained them up that same pole, and trimmed 11 others back down.

I only hope to do one big wet hop beer this year and don't plan on growing any more than this for now. The plant is up against a back corner of my house where the roof is almost 3 stories high. I'm thinking I have two options... Run one string and figure out a way to attach it from the base of the plant to the roof? Or go 6' up and then run twine horizontally.

So, to go horizontally, I'm thinking a pole similar to what I have now with a string attached to the top and run over to my deck (about 12'). Of course, I'd have to train it manually.

I think I'd rather just let it grow up but I'm not sure how I'd attach the twine to the roof. The house is vinyl siding so I'm not sure where I'd attempt to screw something in.

I suppose that was a lot about nothing. But, hopefully I've explained what I hope do do with what I have to work with. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 759 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I'd say grow em vertically. Can you stick your head out an upper story window and maybe attach an eyebolt or something? Im sure you dont want to damage your house but there must be some way to attach up there. Then just drop down some twine.

I have a ton I found growing wild in my backyard last year. I have to find some way to train them this year. It will be vertical somehow. That is what the pros do!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Craig311
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
I'd say grow em vertically. Can you stick your head out an upper story window and maybe attach an eyebolt or something? Im sure you dont want to damage your house but there must be some way to attach up there. Then just drop down some twine.

I have a ton I found growing wild in my backyard last year. I have to find some way to train them this year. It will be vertical somehow. That is what the pros do!
Thanks for the reply. That's what I'm thinking too. I'm just not sure where to try and drill through the siding.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just run it out the window or use a C clamp and clamp onto a sill or eave, etc.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Just run it out the window or use a C clamp and clamp onto a sill or eave, etc.
There you go!

Quick Reply