Should I cut the plants down or let them hang out until the end?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
My 1st year plants are pretty much done with. One of them is dead (brown on top anyway) because it was not doing to well, and it's fuggles so I stopped watering it about a month ago. The rest of them are war heroes. They survived the brutal summer battle (lots of white and brown leaves) and still have some healthy new growth on top. The cascades did the best by far. Those plants look very healthy overall. I got a little bit of cones (almost all on the cascades) but they are not strongly fragrant, just a hint of it, so I'm thinking of tossing the harvest unless someone thinks that doubling the hops would work. The last three weeks averaged highs at about 104 F with one week averaging about 107 F. The plants just fell apart at that point.

So anyway, my question is: If I cut the plants close to the ground, will the roots survive with the temps still reaching over 100 F ever day? Should I still water the roots the same way as the plants until fall? Or should I just let the vines hang out and water each day as I have?:mug:

I transplanted a few this spring to a new area in the backyard. It ended up being too shady and the plants hit about 7' and stopped. I cut them down about 2 weeks ago and new bines have already popped up. Just keep watering like any other plant or your grass. Too much water can rot the roots.

The winter will zap any new growth you get.

Back