Opinions on my first Trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I am planting hops for the first time. I originally planned to plant them on the side of my detached garage, but discovered that the area didn't get enough sunlight (it was the north side of the building).

Unfortunately there are no other areas on my house or garage where I can plant them due to various conflicts.

So, I've been forced to plant them along the edge of my vegetable garden (they're planted now). They will get full sun in that location, but I will have to build a trellis to support them.

I'm trying to come up with a decent, but inexpensive system.

Would you guys take a look and see if you think it will work and if you have any suggestions for improvement?

I've planted the rhizomes 5 feet apart and have planted 5 plants. I'm planning on using two 16' 4x4's (sunk 2' deep), stringing a wire across the top and using a couple of guy wires to support the poles.

trellis.jpg

If that will work, any suggestions on where to get the wire and anchors for them? Should I use eye bolts for the wire? Where is the best place to get these materials?

Thanks

If you use a pair of guy lines in a vee at each end you may be able to get away with sinking those posts only two feet in the ground (usual recommendation is closer to four feet deep for a 16 footer). The big box home stores sell screw anchors for terminating the guy lines in the ground.

I would put a substantial eye bolt at each end of the suspension line, run the line down through the bolts to cleats (or something similar) mounted around waist-height on each pole that you can tie off the ends of the suspension line.

Then make that suspension line long enough that you can lower it close to the ground for maintenance and harvesting. Looking at your dimensions a 100' line should do the job.

You should be able to pick up everything you need at a Lowes or Home Depot...

Cheers!

Back