NY hop summit webinar 01/29/2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check us out (www.clarkhollowhops.com). We are just south of Syracuse. My wife is originally from buffalo area and noticed you were from western ny. That's why I asked. She was able to watch the summit today an said it was pretty interesting compared to some of the past summits/discussions.

I have a few acres of land I can't stop thinking about putting in a yard but I'm pretty sure it would require a lot more time than I have. Looked like you have some acreage how are you harvesting? Are you pelletizing or cones?

I'm actually in phelps about half way between rochester and Syracuse.

It does take up a lot of time. Luckily us and another couple are partners so it helps ease the burden. We are working on harvesting and pelletizing options now. Hopefully all to be figured out/finalized in time for harvest!

How did the whole webinar go? Do they have a recording up? Just curious. We're in WI but have had strong ties with others in NY.

If you all are looking for pelletizing options, shoot me a PM. I can tell you of at least 2 pelletizers operating in NY.

Thanks Dan. We have our contacts for pelletizing. It's a matter of logistics now. My wife watched the seminar and got a lot of me information this time around. Past seminars have been same old story. It shows that NYS is finally building its knowledge base. We all still face the dilemma of demand greater than our knowledge base. Very exciting and stressful at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"logistics" = baler, eventually. We've had people try to deliver hops to our processing facility in everything from pillow cases to a horse trailer full of super sacks. Another group drove all the way from NY in a minivan so crammed full of hops, the person in the back seat had to have two bags in their lap. Another time a prius showed up with bags protruding out the windows. Yeah, "logistics" is important.

Exactly. I've been working on our own design for one with a compression ratio of 10:1 or 14:1. Logistics. That's what winter is for!

Check us out (www.clarkhollowhops.com). We are just south of Syracuse. My wife is originally from buffalo area and noticed you were from western ny. That's why I asked. She was able to watch the summit today an said it was pretty interesting compared to some of the past summits/discussions.

I am in Syracuse and looking for someone in the area that has a Pelletizer and could do a few small projects for me. Wouldn't take long at all.

Unfortunately, there is no one in the Syracuse area that has a Pelletizer (yet). Sorry!!

Depending on how far out you consider the Syracuse "area", there are at least 2 functional pelletizers operating. PM me and I'll send you the details.

Just a warning, unless you are willing to mix your hops with someone else's or a "small project" is on the order of 50 lbs, it may not be worth it. There are certain loses due to the amount of hops it takes to charge the die. But whoever is pelletizing for you should be able to explain that.

Back