Need Urgent Help On Determining whats eating my plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So i went out today and saw that more than a few of the tips were browning, after looking at the stalks i found this

hops.jpg

Basically the stalk is peeled back or cut through leaving the inner hole of the stalk exposed...

Gonna get some insecticides tonight but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also once the tip is dead and fallen off, is there any point in keeping the bine or should i cut it back to the ground and let another one go?

if it is slugs or to see if its slugs put a few containers out and fill them with beer they will fall in and drown.

Not sure whats eating them but I would suggest organic insecticides (if you must). If the bines are fine even when being eaten, you could just see what happens.

if it is slugs or to see if its slugs put a few containers out and fill them with beer they will fall in and drown.

I heard this works but I thought it was because it dehydrates them. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not sure whats eating them but I would suggest organic insecticides (if you must). If the bines are fine even when being eaten, you could just see what happens.

I wish this was the case, about 4 or 5 bines tips are totally cut and dangling down dead. Should i leave the cut bines or are they worthless now?

It's the first week of friggin' April.

I'd cut the damaged bines down to the crown and start over. If those were the first shoots you wanted to do that anyway, but even if not, it's so early in the year that the plant will easily recover...

Cheers!

ps: I can't even find my 4th year plants yet, still buried...

K thanks that's what I thought, need to get some slug stuff down anyways they , or something ate all of our new lettuce sprouts that just came up last week to

I'd put my money on slugs too. I've seen that a lot in my garden and it's always been slugs. As mentioned by jekeane, small container of a cheap beer will do them in.

Back