HOPS growing in basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbsj

Reaction score
So I have my hops in planter and I brought them down to the basement for the winter (Maine). To my amazement, they have spouted and are growing. One is a couple feet long! What should I do? Should I put them in the garage and hope they go dormant again? They get a little sun in the basement, but not much. Thougts are greatly appreciated

So I have my hops in planter and I brought them down to the basement for the winter (Maine). To my amazement, they have spouted and are growing. One is a couple feet long! What should I do? Should I put them in the garage and hope they go dormant again? They get a little sun in the basement, but not much. Thougts are greatly appreciated

Put it grow lights and a watering system. When the DEA raids your house show the hops plants :)

just go hydroponic. youll have the best hop cones around untill the fda raids you which i dont think they would because your purchases would be all beer related stuff and not pipes and munchies.

By bringing them inside the warm temps in your basement tricked them into thinking that it's spring. I would try and get the bines to go dormant unless you are able to provide enough light for them to grow proper. They can live for a while on the energy they have stored but it will not last forever.

Leave them in the coolest location in your basement and don't water them except for a tiny amount every few weeks. If you can keep them in a state of semi-dormancy, they should stay pretty much as is until spring.

they will be fine outside next winter. maine grows hops great so long as they get lots of sun.

Back