Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops in the Great White North

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #31
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 9

thanks for the heads up! I was just going to use a spare 18" planter I used for tomatoes, last year.

I'm only planning on having 2 of them, and I'll be using movers to move, so I'll just tack those bins on to their list of items to move

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #32
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudsyPaul View Post
thanks for the heads up! I was just going to use a spare 18" planter I used for tomatoes, last year.

I'm only planning on having 2 of them, and I'll be using movers to move, so I'll just tack those bins on to their list of items to move
Hey! Good to see another O-Town native here. Unfortunately the hop season was much too warm here for anything substantial to grow. That, combine with it being the first year for the hops resulted in a very very low yield. I am hoping for bigger and better things this year.

I did the tent trellis thing and just got a 20ft cedar 4*4, stuck it in the ground and ran guy wires.

I am also looking for Galaxy rhizomes but I predict thats another top secret strain yada yada

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson

Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #33
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 675 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeadGrady View Post
I am also looking for Galaxy rhizomes but I predict thats another top secret strain yada yada
yup, patented. they're from australia so no telling if they're even grow well here (disease resistance, etc)

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Technically, they should at least 'grow' here but as far as how optimal, that would be up in the air. I guess I will just be happy with whats out there now. I respect the reasons why some strains are under lock n key. Just didn't know

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson

Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #35
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeadGrady View Post
Technically, they should at least 'grow' here but as far as how optimal, that would be up in the air. I guess I will just be happy with whats out there now. I respect the reasons why some strains are under lock n key. Just didn't know
australian hops might not grow here because we have different diseases there than we do. hops are quite susceptible to diseases. several varieties are no longer in production because of wilts, viruses, etc.

if you're looking for recommendations, i'd suggest growing cascase, centennial and columbus. all excellent hops for pale ales, IPAs and harvest ales.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #36
lumpy5oh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Does anyone know of a supplier who will have Saaz? I know Prairie Gem won't have any this year and I haven't found anyone else with them listed.
I have found an ebay seller with seeds; but I'd rather have rhizomes.

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

you definitely don't want seeds. you have no way of knowing if you'll sprout a male or a female. you would have to take a chance, or plant several plants and wait to find out what you grew (wouldn't be able to tell until they flowered).

and based on what i know, you can't get true saaz seeds (or any variety's seeds). hop varieties are propagated by cloning. seeds come from sexual reproduction. so while one would assume that the offspring of a female saaz and a male saaz would be very similar to its parents, it's technically no longer a saaz. at least that's how it works with modern varieties, perhaps old world varieties like saaz are different (i.e. more genetically diverse).

Quick Reply