Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops almost ready

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That picture of "hops ready to pick" looks exactly like my cascade cones right now, and they are still a couple of weeks out. There ain't a brown leaf tip in that picture. Only brown hairs from the "burr" or "spur" stage. I will post up pictures of what they look like when I harvest, but you definately need to let them brown a bit on the bine. Today was the first day I smelled a slight hint of aroma, and it soon gets so strong it's overpowering....no....sexual to smell

Every zone is different, as is every variety. The cascade cones that I grow in southern lower MI get papery feeling and smell like a north Florida fruit farm in about two weeks or so. I know because I've had the plant for five years, and this will be the first that I actually harvest the thing. I'm re-born as a brewer this year, but have watched this plant every year.

I can't speak for any other variety, but hopefully I'll be able to comment on centennial, mt. hood, and hallertau next year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 04:38 AM   #12
BigHops
Recipes 

Yea it was the best I could find...You would want the tips of the cone leaves to be a little more on the brown side...if you look closely you will see they are turning slightly off color and in another week would be brown at the tips..from what I have been reading if you let them brown too much they will give you an "off" flavor.

Bighops

Old 07-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, mine have brown tips and some have mostly brown tips. But they have no odor and relatively little luplin... It is year one, though...

Old 07-27-2008, 04:48 AM   #14
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

wahtcha growin'? Most varieties aren't as aromatic before drying as the cascade variety. Take some pictures and I'll give advice (for what it's worth).

Quick Reply