Hop Transfer Help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamarkid7

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have started 2 ryzomes of cascade hops in a 5 gal bucket. The bucket had a really good potting soil in it with holes drilled in the bottom of it to let excess water out. They were sitting in the back of my apartment porch for a few weeks and they started to grow. They grew about a foot long before I went out of town and I had my girlfriend transfer them to a garden with a hop trellis. Currently I’m out of town on biz and my girlfriend is tending to them. She said they looked a little wilty when she went over to water them today. I’m thinking they may be a little stressed because of the move. She told me that she mixed the potting soil and native soil and then planted them. She also took the foot long vine and wrapped it around the string so it has something to climb on. I’m thinking maybe they are too far along to train. I’m also thinking I could always cut the vines down and let them come in again and train them the right way. Any information is helpful. Cheers :mug:

I have a similar problem. However I am worried that I lost the crop. I planted the 12-18" tall plants in the garden, helped them long the twine, and watered. Then within 4 days they were 100% wilted and gone.

Why would you cut the existing vines? If it's just a little transplant shock they should bounce back after they get settled and be on their merry way. I'd just let it be and see if it does bounce back - if not, at least you gave it a chance and you still have the opportunity for some of the lower buds to come up and help get that little rhizome established. Other than in extreme cases, I think the whole potting and then transplanting them does nothing more than create an additional opportunity to stress the little dudettes out. Just my thought.

Back