Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Do I need to trim these?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Willie3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Trimming is over-rated. The main reason harvesters trim there bines is the same reason why they only train to grow two to three bines on a guy line, money. When you harvest a lot of plants for profit you need to ensure the best practice you can. One is simply how to water the plants. With the bases trimmed it will air dry better, preventing downy mildew from attacking the base of the bines. Another reason is in case the hose gets clogged they can easily remedy the situation. The main reason why they train two to three bines to a guy line is harvesting. It is neater and easier to harvest a field of hops when the cones are neatly up the guy lines.

For homegrown gardens it's not necessary to do all this. It is a myth that more cones will be produced if you do it in this manner. I let my plants go hog wild. Only training them upward to 10 feet. At the end of June I only trim about 6 inches from the base of each plant so when I water them I can see how much water each gets and to make it easier when I have to shave them for the winter. I don't trim side arms and I dont cut away smaller growth. I train 3 to 5 bines up one guy line and any side arms as well just to keep them in one location. My harvest begins now and goes on through the end of Sept. I get about 2 lbs of dried hops from 2 plants for the whole harvest season.

Its a very hardy plant. Let it grow!

- WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply