Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > cones and seeds on 1 plant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Gridlocked
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I just found out tonight that my hops can also **** themselves.

Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I recently got some leaf hops from MoreBeer that had seeds in them. I was a little bit confused.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #13
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBen View Post
I recently got some leaf hops from MoreBeer that had seeds in them. I was a little bit confused.
It happens. Seeds develop within the cones and occasionally I'll find some vestigial seeds in whole hops I've bought. But they've never appeared to be "full term" seeds - the ones I've found were very small, and didn't amount to enough mass to affect flavor, imo...

Cheers!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #14
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But out of curiosity- if you have a hermaphrodite hop plant and it produces seeds, can you then plant the seeds to make a new hop plant? If so, since it is self fertilized (I guess), wouldn't it be an exact (or at least pretty much exact) copy of the parent plant? My reasoning here is this-- sometimes amarillo whole hops come with seeds in them. Could I just plant the seeds and get an Amarillo vine? I have had some packets of Amarillo with a TON of seeds.

Klaus

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #15
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

I'll be interested in reading a definitive answer from one who knows for sure, but from everything I've read on the topic over the years it seems seeds produced as a result of proximate hermie "male" plants are not viable...

Cheers!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
nagmay
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Klaus,
"if you have a hermaphrodite hop plant and it produces seeds, can you then plant the seeds to make a new hop plant?"

Yes.

"If so, since it is self fertilized (I guess), wouldn't it be an exact (or at least pretty much exact) copy of the parent plant?"

Surprisingly, the answer is no. The genetics of hops have not been stabilized. They do not grow true from seed. The offspring (even crossing with the same plant) will be a genetic lottery. In fact, every seed from the plant may be different. It sounds strange, but Apples are the same way.

" My reasoning here is this-- sometimes amarillo whole hops come with seeds in them."

These probably were pollinated by a wild male near the farm. Hermaphrodite hop plants rarely produce seeds ... though it can happen.

"Could I just plant the seeds and get an Amarillo vine? I have had some packets of Amarillo with a TON of seeds."

You can plant them, but the offspring would not be Amarillo.

Here's a better idea:
Can I persuade you to send me the seeds? I am conducting a hobby breeding program: http://gabriel.nagmay.com/2013/03/hops-from-seed/

In return, I would be happy to share any 1st generation plants, once they are established.

Thanks,
Nagmay

Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #17
PapaBearJay
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagmay View Post
Klaus,
"if you have a hermaphrodite hop plant and it produces seeds, can you then plant the seeds to make a new hop plant?"

Yes.
You can plant the seeds, that doesn't mean they will germinate. There are several reasons for this. Depending on whether the plant is truly hermaphroditic, i.e. can produce both male AND female flowers in the natural course of its life, or it's triploid culitvar with a weird ratio of sex chromosomes and produces male and female flowers, albeit generally one or the other is generally sterile, the seed may or may not be viable.

The latter of those situations is a frequent occurence, and generally the expression of both traits in a triploid variety is a result of stress. Stress can be a result of drought, malnutrition, disease/virus, etc.

Quote:

"If so, since it is self fertilized (I guess), wouldn't it be an exact (or at least pretty much exact) copy of the parent plant?"

Surprisingly, the answer is no. The genetics of hops have not been stabilized. They do not grow true from seed. The offspring (even crossing with the same plant) will be a genetic lottery. In fact, every seed from the plant may be different. It sounds strange, but Apples are the same way.

" My reasoning here is this-- sometimes amarillo whole hops come with seeds in them."

These probably were pollinated by a wild male near the farm. Hermaphrodite hop plants rarely produce seeds ... though it can happen.
The genetics are stabilized (if they weren't, we wouldn't have hops), quite thoroughly. If by stabilized you mean inbred, then yes, you're correct. Humulus sp. are highly heterozygous, and there are reasons for that, the wide range of diversity contributes to wide ranges of resistance for many problems associated with monocultures. Though of course, when you've planted 200 acres of Fuggle, and verticillium wilt wipes out your plants, you were asking for it.

You're right, it will be a genetic lottery. (Even assuming the possibility of self-fertilization, which is highly-unlikely.) Due to the highly heterozygous nature of the plant, there is no telling what kind of plant you'll receive. If you were to make one cross, assuming everything works out and people want your new variety, you're looking at approximately 10-12 years before commercialization (and that's if you get it right!).

Everyone loves Cascade right? No, not initially. Cascade was the runt of the litter, and was quite literally almost entirely removed from breeding efforts because there was a lack of interest. Then, Sierra Nevada came in during the late 70's (this was after 6-8 years of effort on the breeder's part for trials, etc.), and made it the all-star it is today. Had it not been for them, Cascade would have likely been wiped off the pages of history.

Quote:

"Could I just plant the seeds and get an Amarillo vine? I have had some packets of Amarillo with a TON of seeds."

You can plant them, but the offspring would not be Amarillo.

Here's a better idea:
Can I persuade you to send me the seeds? I am conducting a hobby breeding program: http://gabriel.nagmay.com/2013/03/hops-from-seed/

In return, I would be happy to share any 1st generation plants, once they are established.

Thanks,
Nagmay
If you send him seeds, I'd like some as well.
Drinking:It's 5 o'clock somewhere right?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #18
PapaBearJay
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlocked View Post
I just found out tonight that my hops can also **** themselves.

What variety do you think you planted?
Drinking:It's 5 o'clock somewhere right?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #19
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Nice! I'm starting some rhizomes down here in Tampa after I watched you guys on "chop n brew"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply