Bunny Problems How to dispose of them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in high school, our neighbor had a dog that would room freely and get into our garbage and pull clothes off the line. Not only that, he was mean as Hell! So, I told the neighbor that he needed to keep his dog out of our yard. When he asked how he was supposed to do that, I told him that I had no idea, but I was sure that he could figure something out. about a month later, i was home by myself and the dog was getting into our trash so I shot the dog in the rear foot. the next day, Mr. Neighbor asked me if I shot his dog, complaining that it cost him more than $300 in vet bills (Mid 1980's). I told him that I shot A dog, but it couldn't have been his dog because we'd agreed that he'd keep HIS dog out of our yard. For some reason, nothing more was said.

Reminds me of the story my friend told me. except his story he gave the neighbor one last warning and said his dog will be shot if he comes again. well the dog did and my friend shot and killed the dog. Neighbor called the cops on him but cops didn't do anything.

I love how this thread went from "how do I protect my hops" to "recipes for rabbit" to "how I shot my neighbor's dog". I'm not complaining, just laughing.

On the general subject, I once had a pair of basset hounds. If there was a rabbit in the yard when I let them out, it had about a 20% chance of making it out alive. They would split up and run at it from opposite directions. The rabbit would watch one, bolt in the opposite direction and run right into the second dog. I would go rabbit hunting without ever firing a shot.

Other than cleaning out the ears, bassets are about the perfect dog. They never get too excited, they hate to go for long walks and they are more than happy to sleep on top of your feet in the dead of winter because sleeping is almost all they do. Plus if they happen to kill a rabbit, you don't have to worry about hunting licensees, what is legal, etc.

I've live trapped 6 bunnies........ the dumb ones, and relocated them. Several didn't survive the relocation due to the presence of a hungry cat that just happened to be sitting right in front of the trap when the bunny was released.

My pellet rifle arrived last evening, and this AM, I accounted for 5 more bunnies. The Magpies are happy today!! This Gamo Silent Cat is an awesome pellet gun. At 1250 FPS muzzle velocity, it will punch holes in steel "tin" cans quite easily at considerable range. It comes with a scope, as well as optic fiber sights, and a "silencer" that does cut the muzzle blast, but the piston operated gun has a lot of mechanical noise.

It's an excellent value, at $130 including shipping, and includes a fairly decent 4x scope. with protectors......... You install the scope with the torx wrench included, and it has all the features of any rifle scope. The silencer comes installed, and there's no obvious way to remove it. It also comes with a tube full of pellets... probably about 50. Purchased from Amazon.Com, a company I'm increasingly trying to avoid doing business with.

H.W.

If you are looking for a pellet gun to shoot dogs and cats without seriously injuring them, this is NOT the gun you want. It does not pump up, but cocks with a single stroke as you break the barrel open. At 1250 FPM it will KILL easily. It's a deadly toy!! My Sheridan, which was stolen from me was a pump up that took 10 pumps to max pressure. It was very powerful, but not nearly as powerful as this, and you could adjust the power by putting fewer pumps so the pellets would sting and bruise, but not penetrate. At 10 pumps, it would kill also. The Gamo is a very dangerous weapon, not a toy.

H.W.

I'd certainly eat them. As you mentioned magpies I haven't seen those except when i lived in Colorado Springs so I doubt you are close enough to pick up some ready to go rabbits…

Ever try rabbit?

Bunny # 14 went down this morning........ As I dispose of my yard bunnies, they seem to move in from surrounding areas gradually and repopulate. Good thing pellets are cheap.

Yep, they are prolific and you will see the population go down in a while, but it will be a constant to have to thin them out unless you have coyotes in the area. They are pretty good about taking out rabbits.

Theres an english fella on youtube that hunts rabbits for restaurants over there with an air rifle and he show how to VERY efficiently clean and dress a couple dozen bunnies in short order, if you would like some advise or tips.

Latest posts

Back