Bug problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Any good helpful hints on how to keep the bugs off the hop plant leaves and prevent the leaves from getting eaten?

I have had similiar problems. In the end...and I really hate doing it, I am trying not to this year, I have gone with an insecticide. I may try some of the insecticidal soaps available. In the past I used Malathion or Triazicide. If it is beetles you are dealing with they sell traps but there is debate on whether they help or not. I have not used them so I cannot answer to this. I may try a pepper solution to try and keep the bugs away, but I have tried the all organic pesticides sold at Home Depot with no luck. Unfortunately I will probably go with Malathion or Triazicide. I just need to spray before my hops start to grow.

The most affective non-chemical approach I have used...was to spray the hop with water than lighlty dust them with baking flour. If the plant is consumed by a bug, the baking flour will turn to glue when mixed with there saliva...within a week you shouldn't have anymore issues with bugs!
I have also heard of people placing coffee grounds and egg shells at the base of the plants...coffee grounds work as a plant stimulate, so I gave that a try but noticed it only worked around the base of the plant, and I had no luck with the egg shells.

Usally, or a good local hardware store. It is pricy about 15 or so for 8 oz, but three tablespoons makes a gallon.

Ebay has 8oz. For just under $10 with free shipping

Sevin or Bayer, they are relatively cheap insecticides sold at any big box in the garden section, they are harmless to plants and kill almost everything.

Edit: It should also be noted, a little bug activity here and there is nothing to panic about, it's natural, there will be bugs and nibbles, it's part of the game. Insecticides should be used when the nibbling endangers the life of your plant.

Thanks guys. Ordered some from ebay earlier today. Hope this works well on mites because they are shredding my hops.

beerloaf

Well I know for sure I have mites but maybe something else was chomping on the leaves. Either way I will post a pic as soon as I get home.

beerloaf

My leaves are being shredded as well which is why I am posting. I will also post a picture.

258.jpg

259.jpg

Dmbnpj - If I had to guess, I would say some sort of caterpillar/sawfly problem. Do you see any critters (besides mites) on the leaves? If the bugs that ate your leaves are gone then there is obviously nothing you can do now.

Latest posts

Back