Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 2.0 Update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #121
MKBoitnott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hey,

I did some research myself. I think it has to do with the fact that the extract displaces water. I think the system automatically adjusts for it. I found an old post regarding water displacement and the author was a Brewtarget guy.

Sorry, I tried to find the post but could not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #122
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the workaround. Good enough! Somehow, through trial and error, I got everything into my last batch, but it took a lot of attempts.
I like the new version. Keep up the good work!

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #123
neomantra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was having the same exact issue w/ the software on a couple partial mash batches. It makes sense that the extract displaces water. What is problematic is that I couldn't initially figure out how best to adjust the software to deal with it. Eventually I concluded the easiest thing to do would be just to subtract the displaced liquid amount from my sparge.

So after adding all my grains and extract and running the Mash Wizard I had...

Target Batch Size: 5.25g
Calculated Batch Size: 5.75g

And then in the mash tab...

Mash Conversion: 3.438g
Final Batch Sparge: 4.972g

Then in theory I could just sparge with 4.472g instead of 4.972g and I'd have my 5.25g at the end. I tested this in the software and the calculated batch size updates to 5.203 so there must be something else minor going on, but that seems close enough. Ideally the Mash Wizard would figure this out on its own in some future version, but this isn't too hard of a work around.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #124
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

FYI - There doesn't seem to be any way within the GUI to import/restore an XML database from previous versions in Linux. I used this method to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfire View Post
Method 3
This is for the hard core. This will use some older code we developers used while working on all of this before we had the automatic import. This method isn't pretty, but it will work.
  1. Copy your XML files as shown in the previous two methods. This isn't required, but makes the command lines much shorter.
  2. Open a command window
  3. cd c:\program files\brewtarget-2.0.1\bin
  4. Run: brewtarget.exe --from-xml ..\data\database.xml
  5. Answer "yes" to include the new items
  6. Answer "yes" to save your changes
  7. Run: brewtarget.exe --from-xml ..\data\mashs.xml
  8. Answer "Restore"
  9. Answer "yes" to include the new items
  10. Answer "yes" to save your changes
  11. Run: brewtarget.exe --from-xml ..\data\recipes.xml
  12. Answer "Restore"
  13. Answer "yes" to include the new items
  14. Answer "yes" to save your changes
  15. Run brewtarget v2.0.1
  16. Answer "Restore" one more time

Mik

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #125
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I just updated from 1.2.4 to 2.0.1. I have both installed and have been exporting/importing recipes. I setup a new equipment profile (LOVE the new boil time in the recipe, was a pain maintaining so many copies just for boil time!). However, even though my equipment setup is identical in both versions, the calculated sizes are off initially, then I reset the equipment and mash, and calculated sizes are now "correct" but the strike temps are much higher - just leaves me wondering if this is going to work? Guess too high is not all bad as you can stir to bring the temp down before sealing it, but a 10 degree difference seems pretty extreme. I have been hitting very close for my mash temps, so I'm sure these temps will be too high. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I found if I reset the specific heat to 0, (instead of 0.359), the temps are closer (still not the same...) so this is the source of the difference.
EDIT: I found Tun Sp heat in the mash editor. Is is possible this is the problem (it is both in the equipment profile AND the mash editor)?
LAST EDIT: I think I have this figured out. All these recipes are ones that I exported/imported. If I reset the equipment to the new profile, remove all mash steps, reset the mash editor to "from equipment", it seems to work pretty good. I also really like the ability to play with the settings on brew day, dialing in the grain and tun temp (I pre-heat my tun, but it isn't always the same when it's time to add the water). Very nice feature and very nice to not have it tied to a specific equipment profile!!!

EDIT: I know I've asked this before, but is there any way to change the default steps? I have a pretty good system down now, and it would be nice to get the steps to match my setup, but I don't want to edit them every time. Thanks.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #126
digitalMessiah
Recipes 

Likes Given: 23

Error launching this on Mac 63 bit - version 2.0.0
Launch - brewtarget quit unexpectedly.
Re downloaded it. Tried running app from desktop and also user Application folder.
Version 1.2.4 runs just fine.

Some info that might be helpful from crash report

Process: launchd [95243]
Path: /Users/USER/*/brewtarget.app/Contents/MacOS/Brewtarget
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50)
Crashed Thread: Unknown
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fff5fc01028
Backtrace not available
Unknown thread crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):

And Console shows
8/28/13 1:25:48.520 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x131f31e].brewtarget[95243]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11

Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #127
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
I just updated from 1.2.4 to 2.0.1. I have both installed and have been exporting/importing recipes. I setup a new equipment profile (LOVE the new boil time in the recipe, was a pain maintaining so many copies just for boil time!). However, even though my equipment setup is identical in both versions, the calculated sizes are off initially, then I reset the equipment and mash, and calculated sizes are now "correct" but the strike temps are much higher - just leaves me wondering if this is going to work? Guess too high is not all bad as you can stir to bring the temp down before sealing it, but a 10 degree difference seems pretty extreme. I have been hitting very close for my mash temps, so I'm sure these temps will be too high. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I found if I reset the specific heat to 0, (instead of 0.359), the temps are closer (still not the same...) so this is the source of the difference.
EDIT: I found Tun Sp heat in the mash editor. Is is possible this is the problem (it is both in the equipment profile AND the mash editor)?
LAST EDIT: I think I have this figured out. All these recipes are ones that I exported/imported. If I reset the equipment to the new profile, remove all mash steps, reset the mash editor to "from equipment", it seems to work pretty good. I also really like the ability to play with the settings on brew day, dialing in the grain and tun temp (I pre-heat my tun, but it isn't always the same when it's time to add the water). Very nice feature and very nice to not have it tied to a specific equipment profile!!!

EDIT: I know I've asked this before, but is there any way to change the default steps? I have a pretty good system down now, and it would be nice to get the steps to match my setup, but I don't want to edit them every time. Thanks.
Are you using Windows? I am very close to actually making the upgrade process work. Upgrading to v2.0.2 should ask a one time question, and then we will do the right thing from there. Sorry for having to manually import all your recipes.

The way brewtarget is working under the covers leads to some confusion, and I think this is what is happening with your equipment profiles. The equipment profile on a recipe is actually different than the equipment profile in the tree. Editing one doesn't affect the other. To edit a profile that has been assigned to a recipe, you need to click the button on the upper right pane that has the profile's name on it.

As to your last question. If you are asking can you select "add grains to water" somewhere and have the intructions match it? Not yet. I've looked at doing that several times and it is a lot harder than you might think. Or I'm not clever enough to see the easy way of doing it. If you mean something else, I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Mik

PS - I liked the edit trail

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #128
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalMessiah View Post
Error launching this on Mac 63 bit - version 2.0.0
Launch - brewtarget quit unexpectedly.
Re downloaded it. Tried running app from desktop and also user Application folder.
Version 1.2.4 runs just fine.

Some info that might be helpful from crash report

Process: launchd [95243]
Path: /Users/USER/*/brewtarget.app/Contents/MacOS/Brewtarget
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50)
Crashed Thread: Unknown
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fff5fc01028
Backtrace not available
Unknown thread crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):

And Console shows
8/28/13 1:25:48.520 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x131f31e].brewtarget[95243]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11
Can you try v2.0.1? There's been some wonkiness with the Mac builds and its the one platform I can't test or support. If v2.0.1 blows up on you, I will flag our Mac guy to see if he can help.

Thanks,
Mik

No brew plan survives contact with Murphy

Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #129
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfire View Post
Are you using Windows? I am very close to actually making the upgrade process work. Upgrading to v2.0.2 should ask a one time question, and then we will do the right thing from there. Sorry for having to manually import all your recipes.
Oh well - yeah, I don't really care too much about recipes, per se, but I do pretty much use brewtarget to keep track of my brews. In fact, it would be really nice to record all the brew day stuff ( volumes, calculated evaporation rates, gravity samples, calculated efficiencies, etc ) Giving me a printout isn't really keeping with the database concept
Quote:
As to your last question. If you are asking can you select "add grains to water" somewhere and have the intructions match it? Not yet. I've looked at doing that several times and it is a lot harder than you might think. Or I'm not clever enough to see the easy way of doing it. If you mean something else, I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Mik

PS - I liked the edit trail
yeah, that would be one thing (instead of add grain to tun), but reminders for like, take gravity sample, save x oz of gyle, etc would be nice for me. I assume these "steps" are going to be unique to each brewer, so having some control over what those steps are would be cool (like what's transfer to secondary for, really?)
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #130
skunk27
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
Oh well - yeah, I don't really care too much about recipes, per se, but I do pretty much use brewtarget to keep track of my brews. In fact, it would be really nice to record all the brew day stuff ( volumes, calculated evaporation rates, gravity samples, calculated efficiencies, etc ) Giving me a printout isn't really keeping with the database concept
Sorry if I'm missing your point and you already know this, but you can right-click on the recipe in the main pane and select "brew it" from the menu to get an instance of a brew (day) where you can record initial/final gravities/volumes and other notes and have ABV etc calculated for you.

Quick Reply