Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #181
ellicit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halflyfe View Post
Hey this is a terrific recipe! I've brewed this a few times and is a favorite among my friends. Easy to make. My only comment was that it was a bit more sweet than preferred. So in an attempt to make it more semi sweet I changed the yeast to White Labs English Cider Yeast. (YLP775) and used 3 cans of concentrate instead of 5. The cinnamon flavoring works very well.

I give this two thumbs up!
Yeah, the original version is very sweet! The English cider yeast you are using will make it a little more dry, which some prefer... I've toned mine down a bit on the syrup and concentrates as well, they're a hit especially with the summer BBQ's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #182
andyturner87
Recipes 

Quick question... Is this concentrate the sort of thing i can use in the syrup? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005GDU5D8/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1366506485&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Concentrates seem rare in the UK and that is all I can find except for grape. Lack of concentrates prevents me using many nice looking recipes on this site!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #183
ellicit
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyturner87 View Post
Quick question... Is this concentrate the sort of thing i can use in the syrup? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005GDU5D8/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1366506485&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Concentrates seem rare in the UK and that is all I can find except for grape. Lack of concentrates prevents me using many nice looking recipes on this site!
Andy,

Yes that is exactly what some of my friends over there are using and it turns out great.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #184
tnorman93638
Recipes 

Sorry, wrong thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #185
andyturner87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellicit View Post

Andy,

Yes that is exactly what some of my friends over there are using and it turns out great.
Oh good i will start using it! Thanks

Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #186
getsome
Recipes 

Fellow cider-lovers,

I have read hundreds of posts on a dozen different threads, but I still come away confused about how to proceed with my first batch of cider. I am sincerely hoping you can give me a little clarity about my situation.
I would like to make 5 gallons of this recipe. I have a keg, and plan to force carb. Things that have me confused include: campden, or no? phosphate or no? when to add syrup mixture?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really looking forward to this project on Saturday.

~B

Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #187
Darth_Trader
Recipes 

I woul have thought to OG would be higher

Old 09-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #188
sniperd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome View Post
Fellow cider-lovers,

I have read hundreds of posts on a dozen different threads, but I still come away confused about how to proceed with my first batch of cider. I am sincerely hoping you can give me a little clarity about my situation.
I would like to make 5 gallons of this recipe. I have a keg, and plan to force carb. Things that have me confused include: campden, or no? phosphate or no? when to add syrup mixture?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really looking forward to this project on Saturday.

~B
I've made this cider twice. I love it. I used campden and phosphate. I put the syrup in before I force carb it. Now I think I'm actually screwing up there, when I go to bottle gun it out I always get a cup full of yuck syrup that I toss, but the cider has the nice syrup flavor. I also had a heck of time getting it carbed, took about 4 weeks at 25-35psi so next time I'm going to back sweeten it less by making a weaker syrup.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #189
jessiczar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey guys! Newbie here. I just made this cider in a gallon batch with Notty yeast and I love the color and taste. Can't wait to see how it goes once bottle carbing for a bit, pasteurizing, and conditioning. But a question - is there anyway to break down the cinnamon for the future? I don't have the globs of syrup problem, but there are a bit too many specks of cinnamon for my preference. I'd love to get it a bit smoother without sacrificing that wonderful cinnamon taste.

caramelapplecider1.jpg  

Old 09-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #190
sniperd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

IMO cinnamon will only really break down under boil, very hard to get into solution otherwise. So you could boil some water toss in the cinnamon, wait for chill and pitch it in, perhaps even at bottle time.

Quick Reply