Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #31
vnyand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If there are no additives all cider (which is the same as "pure apple juice") comes in around 1.055. It may be lower if this was filtered (probably to make it more juice-like instead of typical cider) but it shouldn't be by much.

The brewing yeast may leave more residual sweetness, but when a large percentage of your fermentables are from pure sugar it will almost definitely finish dry.

As for your bottling question... what? A. why would you pasteurize? (not that you can anyways without force-carbonation) B. you would carbonate the exact same way you would a beer (assuming you don't pasteurize your finished cider), though I don't recommend using old soda bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #32
DingoDog
Recipes 

I'm planning on trying this recipe tonight. This will be my first attempt at cider. I like the idea of a short fermentation time and a residual apple flavor and sweetness. I'm planning to keg my cider and force carbonate. Does anyone know of any issues with kegging this cider recipe? Is pasteurization still necessary? If so, how will I accomplish pasteurization or should I just use campden tablets to stop fermentation? Also, I was thinking that maybe I don't need to worry about stopping fermentation at all because once the cider reaches 1.040 I'll cold crash it and keg it. Once kegged, it'll stay in my keggerator and never warm back up.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks

Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #33
DarkPhyre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

how much head room should I leave in the carboy?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #34
dayflyer55
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoDog View Post
Does anyone know of any issues with kegging this cider recipe? Is pasteurization still necessary? If so, how will I accomplish pasteurization or should I just use campden tablets to stop fermentation?
Honestly, i never really deal with chemicals, but from what I hear campden or any other chemical would have a hard time killing fermentation while its running downhill. Perhaps you could cold crash, put in a carboy,then kill with chemicals.

Your scenario would work, but you might as well throw some chemicals in there for good measure.

Pasteurization is definitely not necessary, bottle pasteurization is designed specifically so that you can carb naturally and keep residual sweetness, as its the only way you can possibly do this without using unfermentables.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #35
dayflyer55
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhyre View Post
how much head room should I leave in the carboy?
If you are doing primary in a carboy, I'm pretty sure it won't really matter. Just dont fill up too high and make sure you use an airlock.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #36
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoDog View Post
I'm planning on trying this recipe tonight. This will be my first attempt at cider. I like the idea of a short fermentation time and a residual apple flavor and sweetness. I'm planning to keg my cider and force carbonate. Does anyone know of any issues with kegging this cider recipe? Is pasteurization still necessary? If so, how will I accomplish pasteurization or should I just use campden tablets to stop fermentation? Also, I was thinking that maybe I don't need to worry about stopping fermentation at all because once the cider reaches 1.040 I'll cold crash it and keg it. Once kegged, it'll stay in my keggerator and never warm back up.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks
Campden (sulfites) won't stop fermentation. Winemakers use it all the time, since wine yeast is very tolerant of sulfites. If anybody tells you that campden will stop fermentation, they are not correct, unless you use so much of it that the beverage will be undrinkable!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #37
dayflyer55
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMBrewCo View Post

When I told the guy at my LHBS about this recipe he literally looked at me like I was crazy. Kinda like, "Okay pal, whatever you say..." He told me the way that you should do it - back sweeten and prime for carbonation. But I must say that it has surpassed my expectations.

The only thing that I would do differently in the future is to let it sit in the primary for a day or to then rack it to the secondary for another day because there was a lot of yeast left in the bottles.
Glad you liked it. The reason that I stop fermentation short is because I find it the best way to keep a true apple flavor. If you ferment out and backsweeten, you have 2 options: 1) Backsweeten with sugar, in which you don't get that apple flavor. or 2) Use (unfermented) cider and dilute the final alcohol content. It just doesn't make sense to waste all that time when you will get at best a basically identical finished product (especially with a good clean fermenting yeast).

I completely agree with you about racking. If I did it over again, I would cold crash overnight before transfer to bottling bucket to get rid of yeast for sure.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #38
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Been on for a week, cool in my basement, temp on the carboy hovers 60-62. I think a little cool for my ale yeast maybe? My initial gravity was around 1.06, this morning it was 1.035 or so. Still very sweet and cloudy, lightly carbonated. I'd drink it like this, but the boss wouldn't, and I want a little higher ABV out of it. Going to check again in two days.

Cold crash and bottle sounds like the plan. How cold is too cold to cold crash? The cellar way to the basement is likely between 32* at night and 50-55* through the day. Would that work? I have a small fridge, was going to clean it up today and turn it on, been in the garage for a couple years.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #39
stargazer007
Recipes 

Cold crashing in winter? I'm located in frozen north. So in winter it can be 20 below or colder. Could I rack to a secondary & cold crash for 4-5 hours outside & then bottle pasteurize?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #40
TheCIASentMe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer007 View Post
Cold crashing in winter? I'm located in frozen north. So in winter it can be 20 below or colder. Could I rack to a secondary & cold crash for 4-5 hours outside & then bottle pasteurize?
You could, but I would be a little concerned about possible freezing at those temperatures and implosion of the container if it's sealed. Stick a thermometer on it and watch it closely maybe?

Quick Reply