Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Caramel Apple Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #141
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm really enjoying this mead. I need to make some more of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #142
mrdillon5
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made this one today with what I had on hand. 10 lbs mesquite honey + 3 cups of brown sugar as a substitute, should be very close to original. I haven't done any brewing in over a decade, I had forgotten how messy it could get with this clumsy old fool. Add DME slowly - jeez how did I forget that? Muslen bag came undone as I was trying to squeeze out the last drop from the grains. Grains fell into my carboy and on to the floor - what mess to clean up. Tasty must, can't wait till it is done!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #143
mykezilla
Recipes 

With all the sugar from the honey did you still use 3/4 cup corn sugar for bottling?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #144
pgenius
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just brewed this last night and fermentation is already underway. Can't wait to sample it from the carboy in a couple weeks!

photo.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #145
Postal4x4
Recipes 

Fist post and THIS is my first recipe! I brewed a bit about 10 years ago and am now getting back into it. I love cooking (mostly bbq-smokin).
I stayed as true as I could to the recipe with what I had locally. I was going to go with the K1v1116 , but the hop head at my local store recommended the D47. I did 6lbs of clover, 2lb of purple starthistle and 1.5lb of buckwheat. My final volume is 4.5G and an OG of 1.13. I'll bring it down to 1.12 and then hide it in my closet. The smell in my kitchen is FANTASTIC! I'm tempted to take my husks and make some oatmeal chocchip cookies out of them, but my growler of Dragon's Milk may put an end to that.
How has everyone elses turned out?...

Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #146
Meadrol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal4x4 View Post
Fist post and THIS is my first recipe! I brewed a bit about 10 years ago and am now getting back into it. I love cooking (mostly bbq-smokin).
I stayed as true as I could to the recipe with what I had locally. I was going to go with the K1v1116 , but the hop head at my local store recommended the D47. I did 6lbs of clover, 2lb of purple starthistle and 1.5lb of buckwheat. My final volume is 4.5G and an OG of 1.13. I'll bring it down to 1.12 and then hide it in my closet. The smell in my kitchen is FANTASTIC! I'm tempted to take my husks and make some oatmeal chocchip cookies out of them, but my growler of Dragon's Milk may put an end to that.
Made a gallon of this in March....still not ready to drink but getting there. I'd say around the year mark for it to smooth out and let the flavors meld enough for the caramel apple characteristics to come out.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #147
jmfitzgerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

i was looking at doing a one gallon batch version of this, one because this recipe sounds AMAZING, and two, the rest of my carboys are tied up with beer brewing... i've got a couple 1G jugs around, and would love to give this a shot. i've read through this whole thread, and seen this talked about a couple times, but no real responses, experiences or outcomes on doing a 1G batch of this recipe. Have you simply taken this recipe on the first page, divided it all by 5 and go from there? is there any thing i should be aware of or take account for... 1/5 of some of the smaller measurements might get tricky and what about the yeast... obviously won't need a starter, maybe just a half packet then?

thanks for any input. this sounds delicious!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #148
pgenius
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal4x4
D47 is awesome for mead, but the K1v1116 is suited for this because of its alcohol toleration. I'm fairly certain the D47 yeast will kill themselves before it ferments-out.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #149
Postal4x4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgenius View Post
D47 is awesome for mead, but the K1v1116 is suited for this because of its alcohol toleration. I'm fairly certain the D47 yeast will kill themselves before it ferments-out.
That was a bit of a concern when I was comparing the profiles at the store, but figured I'd go with the expert behind the counter. I hope I didn't get steered in the wrong direction.
It's now day 4 and it's still bubbling away pretty good. I've added my first round of fermaid and give it a good shake everyday.
What happens when the yeast die too soon?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #150
Meadrol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfitzgerald View Post
i was looking at doing a one gallon batch version of this, one because this recipe sounds AMAZING, and two, the rest of my carboys are tied up with beer brewing... i've got a couple 1G jugs around, and would love to give this a shot. i've read through this whole thread, and seen this talked about a couple times, but no real responses, experiences or outcomes on doing a 1G batch of this recipe. Have you simply taken this recipe on the first page, divided it all by 5 and go from there? is there any thing i should be aware of or take account for... 1/5 of some of the smaller measurements might get tricky and what about the yeast... obviously won't need a starter, maybe just a half packet then?

thanks for any input. this sounds delicious!
Here is the recipe I used for one gallon; hope this helps.

1 Gallon Caramel Apple Mead

102.4 oz. Apple Juice
6.4 oz DME
9.6 oz Crystal Malt
28.8 oz clover honey
6.4 oz buckwheat honey
1 Vanilla bean
1 packet Lalvin Kv1116 yeast

Steep grains in 30 oz of apple juice at 155F for 45 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the DME and clover honey plus 3.2 oz buckwheat honey. Rinse grain sack with rest of apple juice. Aerate by vigorous stirring for at least five minutes. Aerate some more. When must is at room temperature pitch yeast starter (hydrated with Go Ferm per container instructions) directly into the primary (plastic pail fitted with an air lock).

At about 1.075 add 1g Fermaid K
At about 1.035 add 1g Fermaid K
(Dissolve your nutrients in water before adding them to your must. This helps to minimize foam.)

Within about two weeks this should ferment out to 1.012 or so. Rack to secondary with pectic enzyme and add vanilla bean. Allow to remain in the secondary for about a month.

Rack again onto 3.2 oz of buckwheat honey and 1 campden tab and 1/4t potassium sorbate to stabilize. Bulk age for six months to a year before bottling.

Quick Reply