Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Caramel Apple Mead

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default Caramel Apple Mead


Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Lalvin K1v1116
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.120
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: n/a
Steep Time (Minutes): 45
Color: golden brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 15 days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 35 days at 68F

4 Gallons apple juice
2 lbs DME
3 lbs 60L Crystal malt
7 lbs Orange blossom honey
2 lbs clover honey
2 lbs buckwheat honey


2 vanilla beans

Steep grains in 1.5 gallons of apple juice at 155F for 45 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the DME and honey. Rinse grain sack with 1/2 gallon apple juice. Add the remainder of the apple juice. Aerate by vigorous stirring for at least five minutes. Aerate some more. I now use oxygen with a diffuser stone to aerate (better). Pitch yeast starter (hydrated with Go Ferm per container instructions) directly into the primary (plastic pail fitted with an air lock).

At about 1.075 add 5g Fermaid K
At about 1.035 add 5g Fermaid K
(Dissolve your nutrients in water before adding them to your must. This helps to minimize foam.)

Within about two weeks this should ferment out to 1.012 or so. Rack to secondary and add vanilla beans. Allow to remain in the secondary for about a month.

Rack again onto 1 lb of buckwheat honey and 1/4t potassium metabisuphite or 5 campden tabs and 2 1/2t potassium sorbate to stabilize. Add Super Kleer to clarify. Bulk age for six months to a year before bottling.

I adapted this recipe from one I saw on gotmead.com. Mine is about 14 months old and tastes just like caramel apples. It's a medium sweet mead that's very drinkable. At about 13.75% alcohol and no alcohol bite one should exercise caution since it goes down so smoothly.

__________________
summersolstice is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
hightest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
Posts: 441
Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Default


After reading this recipe and the instructions, I have a few questions:

  • Apple juice is listed as an ingredient. Is it a commercially bottled juice (like Mott's) or is it sweet apple cider?
  • What grade of DME was used - light, dark, other?
  • The instructions say after steeping the grains to "Stir in the DME and honey". As written, I would take this to mean add all of the 3 types of honey listed at that time. Yet later, the instructions state, "Rack again onto 1 lb of buckwheat honey...". Did you initially add only 1 lb of buckwheat honey and reserve the other pound for the later step? Or should the ingredient list be revised to show that 3 lbs of buckwheat honey are required - 2 lbs up front, and another pound used later?
  • Did you split &/or scrape the vanilla beans, or cut them into pieces?

Thank you for clarifying these points...
__________________

Last edited by hightest; 10-12-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added followup question
hightest is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by hightest View Post
After reading this recipe and the instructions, I have a few questions:
  • Apple juice is listed as an ingredient. Is it a commercially bottled juice (like Mott's) or is it sweet apple cider?
  • Regular commercial apple juice

    Quote:
  • What grade of DME was used - light, dark, other?
  • Light


    Quote:
  • The instructions say after steeping the grains to "Stir in the DME and honey". As written, I would take this to mean add all of the 3 types of honey listed at that time. Yet later, the instructions state, "Rack again onto 1 lb of buckwheat honey...". Did you initially add only 1 lb of buckwheat honey and reserve the other pound for the later step? Or should the ingredient list be revised to show that 3 lbs of buckwheat honey are required - 2 lbs up front, and another pound used later?
  • Yes, all three are added at once with the only exception being 1 pound of BW added initially with the other pound added in the later step.

    Quote:
  • Did you split &/or scrape the vanilla beans, or cut them into pieces?
I used the entire bean, though I understand some prefer them scraped.


Quote:
Thank you for clarifying these points...
You're welcome.
__________________
summersolstice is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
ruger12pk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moline, Il
Posts: 142
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Lalvin K1v1116
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.120
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: n/a
Steep Time (Minutes): 45
Color: golden brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 15 days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 35 days at 68F

4 Gallons apple juice
2 lbs DME
3 lbs 60L Crystal malt
7 lbs Orange blossom honey
2 lbs clover honey
2 lbs buckwheat honey


2 vanilla beans

Steep grains in 1.5 gallons of apple juice at 155F for 45 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the DME and honey. Rinse grain sack with 1/2 gallon apple juice. Add the remainder of the apple juice. Aerate by vigorous stirring for at least five minutes. Aerate some more. I now use oxygen with a diffuser stone to aerate (better). Pitch yeast starter (hydrated with Go Ferm per container instructions) directly into the primary (plastic pail fitted with an air lock).

At about 1.075 add 5g Fermaid K
At about 1.035 add 5g Fermaid K
(Dissolve your nutrients in water before adding them to your must. This helps to minimize foam.)

Within about two weeks this should ferment out to 1.012 or so. Rack to secondary and add vanilla beans. Allow to remain in the secondary for about a month.

Rack again onto 1 lb of buckwheat honey and 1/4t potassium metabisuphite or 5 campden tabs and 2 1/2t potassium sorbate to stabilize. Add Super Kleer to clarify. Bulk age for six months to a year before bottling.

I adapted this recipe from one I saw on gotmead.com. Mine is about 14 months old and tastes just like caramel apples. It's a medium sweet mead that's very drinkable. At about 13.75% alcohol and no alcohol bite one should exercise caution since it goes down so smoothly.

I wouldnt attempt this at this stage of the game for myself..(too much a noob...lol) But Ill tell ya what....I damn sure would love to give this a sip!! WOW!

__________________

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

ruger12pk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
digdan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 503
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default


Why did you use three separate types of honey? Can you diffrenciate the three flavors of honey in the final product? Could one use just orange, or just clover, or perhaps clover and buckwheat?

__________________
digdan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default


I don't really remember why used both OB and clover honey. I assume it's because I didn't have enough OB honey for the recipe. You could certainly use one or the other, or any combination. I wouldn't use an expensive light honey for this recipe due to the influence of the other flavors. The Buckwheat is definitely needed to add the much stronger aggressive honey flavor. A lot of mead makers add a little buckwheat to a recipe for complexity.

__________________
summersolstice is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Smith
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default


What would you guess the difference if any in the final product if I used the following honeys. (due to availability):
8# Clover
3# Mesquite

__________________
bubbachunk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default


I've never had Mesquite honey but if it has an aggressive profile, it should work well. If it has a very aggressive profile, like buckwheat, you might want to cut back to 2 pounds though. Try it.

__________________
summersolstice is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Smith
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
I've never had Mesquite honey but if it has an aggressive profile, it should work well. If it has a very aggressive profile, like buckwheat, you might want to cut back to 2 pounds though. Try it.
Could you try to explain what you mean by aggressive profile?
__________________
bubbachunk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Nebraska, USA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
Could you try to explain what you mean by aggressive profile?
Strong flavor. Like molasses has a strong flavor. Usually the darker the honey the more strong the flavor, but not always.
__________________
summersolstice is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caramel Apple Pez Cider Forum 33 04-11-2011 05:42 PM
Caramel apple cider Chaos_Being Cider Forum 87 02-02-2011 04:58 PM
Caramel Apple Pez Cider Forum 3 04-19-2009 12:57 PM
this is my first apple mead. hubba Mead Forum 8 08-12-2008 12:54 AM
Caramel Apple Cider NurseNan Cider Forum 9 02-05-2007 01:34 AM