Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Pumpkin Buffalo Sweat Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1707 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 3481

Default Pumpkin Buffalo Sweat Clone

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: 1098
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 25
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 40
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 67
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 70
Tasting Notes: Very balanced flavor and aroma of pumpkin pie spices, with an oatmeal cream stout.

MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 7.75-lbs.-Briess-Pale-Ale-
-- 1-lbs.-English-Roasted-Barley-
-- 1-lbs.-German-Vienna-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Flaked-Oats-
-- 0.5-lbs.-Briess-Victory-
-- 0.375-lbs.-English-Black-Malt

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 156° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 168° F for 10 minutes

Boil
-- 0.5-lbs.-Lactose-(60-min)-
-- 1-oz.-Glacier-(60-min)-
-- 0.25-oz.-Willamette-(5-min)

Yeast to be pitched at 67 degrees

After reaching FG of around 1.020 to 1.018, these additions will be added when transferring to secondary to create the pumpkin taste.

1/2-Tablespoon of ground Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2-teaspoon of ground Allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-cinnamon stick
2.5-cloves
Either 1/2 vanilla bean or you can use 1/2 Tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.

Here are more notes from Tallgrass head brewer Andrew Hood:
"I primed that beer with brown sugar. What you can also do is add in a roasted 4lbs Heirloom pumpkin. To prepare it all you would do is cut it in half. Get all the snot and seeds out. Take a cookie sheet and layer it with tinfoil. Put the pumpkin half’s face down. Bake the pumpkin for 60-90min at 300-320F. You want the starches in the pumpkin to convert over to sugar just like in the Mash Tun. A great indication is seeing the top of the pumpkin start to collapse and making sure its soft from the outside in. You can either boil with the pumpkin, use it in fermentation or mash in with it. I’ve used it in all parts of the brewing process."

I personally did not add the whole pumpkin, but instead used the spices which is what Andrew Hood did.

I have brewed this once and it was fantastic. This is very much a crowd pleaser around the holidays, craft beer drinker or not. The spices make this beer very complex, but not overwhelming. There is a link at the bottom to my original brew and others who have brewed this. Let us know how it turns out and if you have any questions! Cheers

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pump...-clone-441026/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
kcmobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks for the recipe. I'm from Kansas City and I love Tallgrass. I got the recipe for Ethos from Hood. Great dude. Definitely gonna try this later this year, for a fall beer.

I may be moving back to KC here before too long, if a job pans out. Gonna have to start hitting up that firkin thing you have been raving about.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1707 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 3481

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmobrewer View Post
Thanks for the recipe. I'm from Kansas City and I love Tallgrass. I got the recipe for Ethos from Hood. Great dude. Definitely gonna try this later this year, for a fall beer.

I may be moving back to KC here before too long, if a job pans out. Gonna have to start hitting up that firkin thing you have been raving about.

The firkins ive been to have been hit or miss, but the pumpkin one was unbelievable. And yes, andrew is a great dude and is always willing to help a home brewer. Let me know if you brew this up or move back to KC! Cheers.

Drinking helps fight against Radioactive poisoning. The survivors of Chernobyl were drunk at the time. Drink up HBT!

Quick Reply