Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > All-Grain - Liberty Peach Berliner Weisse (Sour Mash)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
brianwhitley1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Awesome. I have a very tasty bourbon vanilla porter for your consideration!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #22
kirkenka
Recipes 

I sent this off to a competition. Here is a summary of the results:

Judge 1 - BJCP Apprentice Judge - 33
Aroma - 8/12 - Light Sourness with a Slight Peachy Ester
Appearance - 3/3 - Straw Yellow, Dense off white head quickly fades to ring around glass
Flavor - 11/20 - Moderately Sour (Lacitc). Ester is very light Peachy
Mouthfeel - 5/5 - Light Body, Moderate Carbonation
Overall Impression - 6/10 - Could use more pronounced peach flavor to enhance complexity

Judge 2 - Pro Brewer - 38
Aroma - 10/12 - Very Slight Peach Nose
Appearance - 2/3 - Lite Straw color, slightly hazy, good lace
Flavor - 14/20 - Nice and Tart. Acidic leads to lite peach.
Mouthfeel - 4/5 - Lite and Refreshing, carbonation is to style
Overall Impression - 6/10 - Nice Refreshing beer, could use a tad more peach

Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
CadillacAndy

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkenka View Post
I sent this off to a competition. Here is a summary of the results:

Judge 1 - BJCP Apprentice Judge - 33
Aroma - 8/12 - Light Sourness with a Slight Peachy Ester
Appearance - 3/3 - Straw Yellow, Dense off white head quickly fades to ring around glass
Flavor - 11/20 - Moderately Sour (Lacitc). Ester is very light Peachy
Mouthfeel - 5/5 - Light Body, Moderate Carbonation
Overall Impression - 6/10 - Could use more pronounced peach flavor to enhance complexity

Judge 2 - Pro Brewer - 38
Aroma - 10/12 - Very Slight Peach Nose
Appearance - 2/3 - Lite Straw color, slightly hazy, good lace
Flavor - 14/20 - Nice and Tart. Acidic leads to lite peach.
Mouthfeel - 4/5 - Lite and Refreshing, carbonation is to style
Overall Impression - 6/10 - Nice Refreshing beer, could use a tad more peach
That's great! Which competition was this? I see you're in Cincinnati - was it Oktobersbest? If so, I entered the same beer and got 3rd in the Fruit Beer category with a 40.

Which category did you enter it in and what was your description that you gave (if applicable)?

I've been adding drops of peach extract directly to the bottle when I'm sending out for competition. 24 drops per 12oz is what I've been doing. This will probably increase a little bit as the beer ages and the natural peach flavor drops. I personally prefer to drink it with just the natural, light peach flavor, but without the extract to dial up the peach nose, it's just not enough to get the points.

Thanks for posting this! I'll post my scoresheets when I get them and we can compare comments. Cheers!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
kirkenka
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
That's great! Which competition was this? I see you're in Cincinnati - was it Oktobersbest? If so, I entered the same beer and got 3rd in the Fruit Beer category with a 40.

Which category did you enter it in and what was your description that you gave (if applicable)?

I've been adding drops of peach extract directly to the bottle when I'm sending out for competition. 24 drops per 12oz is what I've been doing. This will probably increase a little bit as the beer ages and the natural peach flavor drops. I personally prefer to drink it with just the natural, light peach flavor, but without the extract to dial up the peach nose, it's just not enough to get the points.

Thanks for posting this! I'll post my scoresheets when I get them and we can compare comments. Cheers!
Yes, it was Oktobersbest. I did enter it in the Fruit Beer Category. My description was "Berliner Weisse with Peaches in the Seconday". I did add about 2 oz of the Peach Extract to the keg for a little more peach flavor. I should have left in the secondary longer but really wanted it to be ready to drink more in the summer. I am bottling for another competition tonight and was planning on adding some peach extract to the bottle based on the feedback from the competition. I am glad to see you had good luck with that method. I am like you, I prefer the light peach flavor and really enjoy the beer as is. Looking forward to seeing the comments from your sheets as well as knowing the score of the beer that beat mine.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
CadillacAndy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkenka View Post
Yes, it was Oktobersbest. I did enter it in the Fruit Beer Category. My description was "Berliner Weisse with Peaches in the Seconday". I did add about 2 oz of the Peach Extract to the keg for a little more peach flavor. I should have left in the secondary longer but really wanted it to be ready to drink more in the summer. I am bottling for another competition tonight and was planning on adding some peach extract to the bottle based on the feedback from the competition. I am glad to see you had good luck with that method. I am like you, I prefer the light peach flavor and really enjoy the beer as is. Looking forward to seeing the comments from your sheets as well as knowing the score of the beer that beat mine.
I'm still waiting for the scoresheets. They said they were going to email them and I haven't seen anything yet. I'll share them as soon as I get them.

On a side note, how did you sour your mash? Did you use grain or a culture of lacto?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
kirkenka
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the scoresheets. They said they were going to email them and I haven't seen anything yet. I'll share them as soon as I get them.

On a side note, how did you sour your mash? Did you use grain or a culture of lacto?
They dropped my scoresheets off on Saturday at the Local Homebrew Shop that our club holds meetings. Hopefully you will get yours soon.

I soured by pitching a vial of White Labs Lacto. I detailed my process in a post earlier in this thread.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #27
kirkenka
Recipes 

Quote:

I added some Peach Extract directly to the bottle for Beer for Boobs competition. I scored a 43 and won the Fruit Beer Category with the entry.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #28
CadillacAndy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkenka
I added some Peach Extract directly to the bottle for Beer for Boobs competition. I scored a 43 and won the Fruit Beer Category with the entry.
That's awesome. 43 is really impressive. I sent 4 beers in for that competition but didn't send this beer. Congrats!

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
kirkenka
Recipes 

Quote:
That's awesome. 43 is really impressive. I sent 4 beers in for that competition but didn't send this beer. Congrats!
Thanks for the great base recipe.

Quick Reply