Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #131
Halbrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Would fuggle hops be good in this recipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #132
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
Would fuggle hops be good in this recipe?
I would follow this substitution guide: http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Old 09-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #133
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bottled this about a week ago, but couldn't wait. Cracked open a bottle last night. I have to say, even with it being only lightly carbed, this is a very good brew. I brewed it with LME, so it was a little darker than expected. The clove is very prominent in the aroma and the taste is spot on. Easy to drink. Thanks for the simple recipe.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #134
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemedes
This beer sure did come out A-Mazing. It's a very simple and quick recipe too. I drained the whole 5 gallon keg in two weeks almost all by myself

Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about adding a slight hint of rasberry to this recipe and am curious if anyone out there has tried it. I've read quite a few of the other rasberry wheat recipes, but I don't have an available secondary (... and money's spent on kegging system for now) and I am wondering if I could just add a small amout of rasberry puree to the primary after its reached FG and just let it sit a few more days on the yeasties - then rack it and keg it. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how this would work or turn out?

Thanks! Check out the pic!
Most say to add the fruit to secondary only. I've thrown some raspberry extract into another brew but never purée. I say go for it and see what happens.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #135
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Need some help boys (and gals). Brewed this up again this past Saturday. I did not get a good seal on my blow off valve (wrong size hose) but the hefe fermented furiously for the first 18 hours or so. After that, nothing. I KNOW air got in since the seal was bad. I now fixed that issue and there is no airlock activity. Nothing at all. Am I toast? Re-pitch some yeast or hang out and wait? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #136
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1113 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzack View Post
Need some help boys (and gals). Brewed this up again this past Saturday. I did not get a good seal on my blow off valve (wrong size hose) but the hefe fermented furiously for the first 18 hours or so. After that, nothing. I KNOW air got in since the seal was bad. I now fixed that issue and there is no airlock activity. Nothing at all. Am I toast? Re-pitch some yeast or hang out and wait? Thanks in advance.
You are perfectly fine

give it a week and take a gravity reading; I bet you'll be happy with what it says.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #137
stevedore
Recipes 

Used this for my fourth batch. Followed the recipe except I used Wyeast 3068 instead of the combined yeast the OP used.

Got a OG of 1.057; wondering how much of an issue that will be compared to the recipe's 1.049. I wonder if I boiled too hot/long.. Otherwise I had no real issues! Not terribly hard to make this one, mechanically speaking.

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #138
stevedore
Recipes 

In general how long did you fellas wait until you started taking readings? I know in general you wait until there's no airlock activity and maybe the krausen has dropped. But roughly how long has it taken for those of you who have bottled this recipe?

I ask partly because by the time I head to my parents' for the holidays, it'll have been a 2 week primary. I don't mind leaving it in the primary for an additional 2 weeks (when I get back) for a total of 4 weeks though.

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #139
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Better Weizen Recipe...

I apologize for not beig around the forum for a while, but life has been getting in the way of spending time here...and I'm retired.

WOW! Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate them. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the recipe and assisting in answering technique questions too.

While the Paulaner recipe produces a good brew I changed over to a Pinkus Hefe Weizen recipe last year that is even better...REALLY!

It is from "Brewing Classic European Beers At Home" by Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz, on page 164 if you have the book.

It is an All Grain recipe. For those who do not have it:

3#, 13 oz Pale
5#, 12 oz Wheat
4 oz Rice Hulls
.8 oz Hallertau Hops (I use pellets)
1 liter yeast starter: WLP300 Hefe Weizen

My variations:

1) I placed .2 oz of the hops into the brew pot during sparge. This is called First Wort Hopping. It makes the bitterness of the bittering hops really smooth.

2) I used a Single Infusion Mash at 151F for 60 mins, Fly Sparged with 4 gals. at 170. Collect 7 gals. or until gravity drops to 1.010 (adjusted for temperature).

Boil time: 90 mins.

Ferment Temp: 69F
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.010
ABW: 4.410%
ABV: 5.513%
Primary: Plastic: 20 days
Secondary: None. Straight to bottling bucket sucking up very little yeast to bottle condition.
Prime: use 1 oz of Corn Sugar more than the number of gallons in the bottling bucket; i.e., 5 gals bottled = 6 oz CS, 6 gals bottled = 7 oz CS.
Bottle condition at least 1 week at room temp (70 preferred) and refidgerate for AT LEAST 1 day if you are over anxious (3 days/nights is much better).

This has a very good banana flavor that is excellent and light on the palate.

I have made this a number of times and it has been excellent.

The last time I brewed this I made 2 batches on consecutive days. Each starter was made with a 1/2 of a baby food jar of 3rd generation WLP300 making a 1 liter starter.

I bottled 70 - 0,5 liter bottles about 13 days ago. At least 10 of them have been shared and sampled so far.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #140
laerck
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just made the original extract version yesterday and was at first amazed by how crazy my airlock has been. Now almost exactly 24 hours since pitching the yeast I had to install my first blow off tube and see the lid on the plastic bucket bow outwards as the pressure increases. The thing is fermenting so violently that its also blowing bubbles in my container the blow off tubing is going into. Definitely interested to see how this one will turn out in couple weeks.

Quick Reply