Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #951
doortees
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hello first post.

I'm new at all grain. Brewing a wheat beer using torrified wheat. I'm wondering if I will get any enzyme conversion from the wheat starch. I'm looking to get abv 5.5 -6. Unsure about how much if any the wheat will contribute.
I plan to use some 2row and Belgian pilsner for the base malt. Not sure how much of those to use though.
Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #952
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by doortees View Post
Hello first post.

I'm new at all grain. Brewing a wheat beer using torrified wheat. I'm wondering if I will get any enzyme conversion from the wheat starch. I'm looking to get abv 5.5 -6. Unsure about how much if any the wheat will contribute.
I plan to use some 2row and Belgian pilsner for the base malt. Not sure how much of those to use though.
Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
If i were you, try and find an online recipe calculator. It will give you all the amounts. If you cant find one, I can enter it to Beersmith for you. As the recipe sits, its around 5.5%. Not sure why you would use 2 Row and Belg Pilsner malts, with the wheat. If you want to use both, use majority Bel Pilsner and the rest 2Row, with more Wheat. So as the recipe is on the first page, your recipe should be something like:

7 lbs. Wheat
4 lbs. (2-Row (US) + Belgian Pils (2-Row))
Rice hulls
Hops schedule as written

Hope that makes sense. That give you 5.6% in a 5.5 gallon batch, 5.1% in a 6 gallon batch. (according to BeerSmith)

Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #953
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
For whatever reason I've been getting a little more of a bite in the back end of this beer and it's not as clean of a taste as my first one. It's almost got a mild astringent aftertaste but I've never had trouble with my water PH or the long mash time that this beer calls for. I think when I brew this again I'll go back to WL300 since I used Wyeast 3068 in this most recent batch...I think the WL300 ferments cleaner.
Exactly describes how mine turned out....first time brewing it for me.....I used 3068.....but my fermentation temp got up around 69F......Jamil's book says the key to a good Hefeweizen is to ferment at 62-63F....so I may try this again and keep same yeast...but lower the ferm temp to 62F.....and see if that was the issue.

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #954
doortees
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I originally planned to use more wheat but was unsure if I could get the gravity up with the torrified wheat. I was only using the 2 row to increase the fermentables.

Thanks again I have a lot to learn.

One thing I know though. It stinks to make a beer that doesn't taste good, but it is a tragedy to have it not taste good and not have enough abv

Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #955
Leadpencil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This was my second all grain brew. I didn't get the Sulphur smell like the others have posted.
It's been in the keg for a little over a week. I had a pint last night, it was a bit cloudy but had a good flavor. I am hoping that by next weekend it will be ready to serve.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #956
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just checked gravity. It has settled at 1.012. Not bad I guess, as I hit a little high at 1.056 for my OG. Makes it around 5.5%. Perfect for a Hefe. The sample has NO sulphur smell and tastes great. Going to keg it tonight and carb it up. Should be tasty!!! Thanks again for the recipe. Might have to brew it again and just pitch it to the cake or wash some yeast and get it going again.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #957
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What temp did you ferment at and do you have chamber to hold the temps?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #958
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loodachris View Post
What temp did you ferment at and do you have chamber to hold the temps?
I dont have a ferm chamber. It ranged anywhere from 64-68 according to the fermometer on the side of my carboy. It was just in my second bedroom. Couldnt control it very well. Should turn out even better if you can control temps. Just racked it to the keg and tasted another sample. Good clove flavor, with little banana flavor. Should be carbed up for Super Bowl!!

GO NINERS!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #959
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll be brewing this again next weekend but this time I will be making a starter plus I picked up a 5.0 CF chest freezer and I am currently working on a temp controller so hopefully this will do the trick. If all works out this will be on tap at all times.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #960
jordanfrenzy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quick question... for some reason I ordered 2 oz of Hallertau instead of 1 oz. I don't have any way to vacuum seal and I'm not sure I'll be brewing anything that calls for Hallertau soon enough to keep them fresh. Anyone have opinions on how dry hopping with the extra 1 oz will turn out? I looked at bumping up the 45 and 15 min additions with it but I'm afraid I'll bitter way out of style.

Also, this may have been answered already in the thread but are you doing a 90 or 60 min boil? I'm guessing 90 since there is pilsner malt involved.

Quick Reply