Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #911
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok will do.. I have the johnson a419 so I will have to switch out the ceramic heater and the freezer....Should have got the Ranco for this...oh well.
wish me luck - looking so forward to this one -- Franiskaner is my fav beer and this sounds like it is very close !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #912
surtur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i did this one it has been in the primary for 16 days the first few days i had crazy sulfur smell my temps were a little low 60-63 so i bumped them up and the smell went away after about a day..
took a reading after 10 days and a sample and yuck... smelled and tasted like sour sulfur farts.. reading was 1.014 didn't smell or taste like beer.
I used a 1L started and use two jars of harvested 3068 from a previous batch that was good.
could my yeast have been contaminated? or my beer or is this just one of those funky fermentation's that just isn't done yet.?

also i have bumped the temp up over the last week to the low 70's to try and help the yeast along ... its has dropped down to 1.012 and has mellowed a little but man it still doesn't taste right.
i will give it a week or two more then i will bottle it and see what happens.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #913
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had mine in primary for 3 weeks exactly....and was worried about having the sulpher issue because of some other posts....but it was fine after the 3 weeks.

I did a 1-litre starter.....and my max ferm temp hit 70F for a couple hours at peak of fermentation (little higher than I wanted obviously)......beer fermented at 67F to 68F

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #914
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so I finally brewed this. Couple of questions:
1. Is it normal for the krausen to go up into the airlock and bubble out a bit?
anyway to avoid this in a 6.5 gallon bucket?

2. My temps have been basically at 68 maybe once or twice in a 24 hour period it hit 70 a couple of times - should this be ok ?

3. I am getting a sulfur smell - I know others have reported this - is it normal ? anyway to avoid it ?

4. I was hoping for a nice banana note but am smelling any of that will this come in the end?

5. My starter I did in my kitchen which is about 70f - the starter got pretty bubbly and active, I am assuming the temp rose on the starter to maybe 74-75ish I had it sit overnight - is this ok ? I know I get fusel alcohol esters if I ferment this high on the actual hefe......will a high 70's temp starter cause off flavors?

thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #915
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Just brewed this today. Hit numbers pretty much right on. 1.056 OG. Just about to pitch my yeast. Using a 1.5L starter. The starter went CRAZY! Woke up to find it spewing all over the place. Aerating right now and I hope I dont get the sulphur issues. Made a Belgian Wit using a different yeast and its almost undrinkable after a month in primary with such a bad sulphur smell. Fingers are crossed for this one!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #916
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Entire Bottle to Glass?

I bottle my beer.....and normally for other brew types I leave the sediment behind in the bottle when I pour to glass.....but in this case, since you want the yeast flavors, etc...in the beer....is it best to pour the entire bottle contents into glass (i.e. sediment and all)????

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #917
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For those of you who have successfully brewed this , is the sulfur rotten egg smell to be expected or is it not the norm? I am getting the sulfur smell and want to perfect this awesome recipe as German hefe is my fav!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #918
golphur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've brewed this twice. Sulfur smell during fermentation both times. It goes away. I've never had sulfur in the final product. I usually keg after 3-4 weeks in primary

Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #919
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I kegged after about 3 1/2 weeks in primary. It had a serious smell. But just tasted it again tonight, and it seemed to be mostly gone. Maybe a hint of it still there, but not bad at all. Its drinkiable, just not as much of the "Belgian" flavor I was expecting. Not the beers fault, Im sure it was my fault during the brew. Has a very strong wheat flavor to it. Going to keep trying to drink it and see how it conditions.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #920
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgortel View Post
I bottle my beer.....and normally for other brew types I leave the sediment behind in the bottle when I pour to glass.....but in this case, since you want the yeast flavors, etc...in the beer....is it best to pour the entire bottle contents into glass (i.e. sediment and all)????
Some people roll the bottle sideways before pouring. I usually pour about 2/3 and swirl the rest and pour it out. Short answer, yes.

Quick Reply