Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #321
CastleBlack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I took my 6 weeks old (young ?) Ruination to our local home brew club and everyone was really HOPPY!

Actually I got quite a few comments on how hoppy it actually was while being tremendously smooth!

I said it all about the nose on this one!

I knew it would come out good but this is the most hoppy IPA I have tried and I am addicted to it. Cant have enough of it (and I really dont!).

IPAs dont have to punch you in the face with hop bitterness but if they do make sure they lure you close with their fresh hop aroma

Happy brewing to all you great homebrewers and if you do make this one, I promise you you simply wont be disappointed.-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #322
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Transferred mine to the 2ndary on Saturday. FG measured at 1.013 with an OG of 1.073 using WP001. As is normal, I didn't want to waste the gravity sample and I'm hoping to hear some similar stories. The taste was very "light" except for the hops. Also was very yeasty tasting. I'm writing that off to coming right off the primary yeast. Anyway, I've 2oz of centennial pellets "floating" in it now. First shot at dry hopping for me and I'm definitely brainstorming for better methods. Used a nylon strainer bag and about 10 glass marbles. You know what the bouyancy of 2oz of hop pellets and a nylon strainer bag is? Just a little more than 10 glass marbles! And I'm not looking forward to the effort getting that bag out of the carboy either!

So, if any of you guys tasted and recall your experiences right of the primary, chime in. Hoping for some encouraging responses.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #323
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry
Transferred mine to the 2ndary on Saturday. FG measured at 1.013 with an OG of 1.073 using WP001. As is normal, I didn't want to waste the gravity sample and I'm hoping to hear some similar stories. The taste was very "light" except for the hops. Also was very yeasty tasting. I'm writing that off to coming right off the primary yeast. Anyway, I've 2oz of centennial pellets "floating" in it now. First shot at dry hopping for me and I'm definitely brainstorming for better methods. Used a nylon strainer bag and about 10 glass marbles. You know what the bouyancy of 2oz of hop pellets and a nylon strainer bag is? Just a little more than 10 glass marbles! And I'm not looking forward to the effort getting that bag out of the carboy either!

So, if any of you guys tasted and recall your experiences right of the primary, chime in. Hoping for some encouraging responses.
Great timing. Just drank my gravity sample from primary that I brewed April 21. Going to add the dry hop very soon.

My SG was also 1.013 (wlp007). The taste is very very smooth almost too smooth as you point out. I think that smoothness makes it a great platform for the dry hopping. Mine didn't taste yeasty at all, they dropped out some time ago. IBUs are calculated at 112 for this batch it's hard to wrap my head around why it's so damn drinkable out of the primary!

For the hops I just chuck 'em in!

Old 05-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #324
bkorver
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I made this exactly as per the OP. Really impressed with how it turned out!

3494.jpg  

Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #325
Boston85
Recipes 

Brewed this up a couple of weeks ago. Racked to secondary last weekend after 2 weeks in primary. Gravity was 1.01, so the yeast starter I had really went to town. Dry hopping now a week then will keg and carb up for a week before serving. Fermentation on this smelt unreal, I almost wanted to jump in my chest freezer where I was storing it.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #326
Logzor
Recipes 

Is it worth waiting longer than 3 weeks to bottle this? Mine will hit the 2 week mark this Sunday, I plan on dry-hopping and then bottling the next weekend.

I noticed it was very dark in the carboy at first, now it's gotten much more light in color. Did anyone else experience this? Maybe it was just all the crap in suspension.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #328
CastleBlack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logzor View Post
Is it worth waiting longer than 3 weeks to bottle this? Mine will hit the 2 week mark this Sunday, I plan on dry-hopping and then bottling the next weekend.

I noticed it was very dark in the carboy at first, now it's gotten much more light in color. Did anyone else experience this? Maybe it was just all the crap in suspension.
Go for it!

As for the color, it is always darker in the carboy.

Happy brewing and keep us posted.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #329
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logzor View Post

I just kegged (1st keg) this 3 days ago, you'll be surprised at just how light in color this is, and the hydro sample tasted great. Though it made me wish I had a way to cold crash it. My 2 cents (and I'm brand new to this), for what it is worth. Now I just have to be disciplined and leave it the heck alone for awhile. I did 16 days in primary, 6 days dry hop in secondary on (my last?) extract batch.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #330
KillerRabbit
Recipes 

Default Thank you for this fantastic recipe

Thank you so much for this simple yet wonderful recipe. I made the extract version. Just three weeks of fermentation in a water bath with dry hopping for last seven then two weeks bottle conditioning and what a brew! This is only my 4th batch and could not be happier with the results. My friends can't believe I could brew something this good. Here's the particulars if anyone is interested:

Ingredients:
* Batch size 5 gallons
* Culligan RO Water from Meijer (29 cents gallon - worth it to avoid problems I've had with tap water)
* Full boil using 8 gallon kettle with good propane burner
* 1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt steeped in 1 gal at 155 for 30 minutes
* 9 lbs Briess Golden Light DME - 5 lbs at beginning and 4 lbs with 15 minutes left (not sure if this made any difference)
* 1.75 oz Magnum for 60 minutes
* 3 oz Centennial with 1 oz at 30, 10, 1 minutes
* Wyeast 1056 with 1.5L starter using stir plate
* 60 sec of oxygen using home made wand and Northern Brewer Oxygen Kit
* OG=1.084
* 9 days in primary in Michigan basement at 65F water bath. Used blow-off tube for first 3 days as fermentation was very robust (air lock would have blown for sure).
* 12 days in secondary in water bath at 67F.
* Dry hopped with 2 oz Centennial for last 7 days in secondary.
* Bottle conditioned for 2 weeks at about 70F.
* FG=1.012
* Taste=fantastic. Even better after 3 weeks bottle conditioning.

Quick Reply