Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #631
fatman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just wanted to say that after waiting impatiently this beer was amazing. This is the best beer in Hawaii right now! 5 Gallons gone in 10 hours, next time I am doing 10 gallons of this. Thanks for the great recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #632
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Today is a sad day....

Cracking open the last bottle of my batch now! Thanks again for the recipe, it was definitely a hit!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #633
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Just got the ingredients in for this, CAN"T WAIT!

First Time Using Leaf Hops! Yea, It is the simple things that make me happy.

Need to get that darn Hefe out of my primary . . . .

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Last edited by TheWeeb; 07-15-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #634
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
I just kept it as is just to experiment. I let it condition for awhile cuz I knew it would be boozy. The first couple pints had a purple tint to it which was pretty weird. After a couple more pints it started to taste better and better. Now, it tastes amazing, but it's nothing like dfh60. I would say it's a dfh90 clone now except IMO mine tastes a little better.

Tasty and strong!
I'm gonna do this recipe again tomorrow. I'll make sure to not screw it up this time, i.e., remembering to take OG, remembering to have the right amount of volume, etc.. I'm excited. I'll let you know how it turns out and if there's a purple tint again.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #635
Pete79
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluewagons View Post
Finally got a first taste of a batch of this I brewed on 3/1. Turned out a bit sweet, but I was expecting that as it had a FG of 1.022 (OG 1.077). Hop-wise it's damn delicious but it's got an almost syrupy mouthfeel.
I had the same problem with mouthfeel. Syrupy is the exact word I would use. Although if I remember correctly the FG for my batch was 1.020.

It was a partial mash recipe with fresh DME.

When I compared the clone with the real thing hop-wise it seemed to be spot on. (Except with the aroma. I've always had problems getting nice aroma.)
The mouthfeel of DFH 60 seemed a lot more "crisp" to me.

I did only pitch one packet of yeast.

Is the "syrupy" mouthfeel usually only related to FG? Or could it be other things that I could change.

Would love to make this recipe again.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #636
gmtech825
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

brewed a variation of this last night. i had to sub biscuit for the amber malt.
also had to use nugget for bittering and centennial in place of the amarillo. stupid lhbs

I blame the media blamers

Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #637
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech825 View Post
brewed a variation of this last night. i had to sub biscuit for the amber malt.
also had to use nugget for bittering and centennial in place of the amarillo. stupid lhbs
Well, the nugget will be fine. I think centennial is great, too, so it'll be different than my recipe but I bet just as good. I am a huge fan of amarillo, though, so make sure you get some when you can and try a beer with amarillo late hopping. It's probably my current favorite hop, and the amarillo/simcoe combo is my all time favorite combo.

As for the biscuit malt as a sub for amber malt, that's fine. Amber malt (the Thomas Fawcett one) is bascially the same thing as biscuit malt.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #638
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete79 View Post
I had the same problem with mouthfeel. Syrupy is the exact word I would use. Although if I remember correctly the FG for my batch was 1.020.

It was a partial mash recipe with fresh DME.

When I compared the clone with the real thing hop-wise it seemed to be spot on. (Except with the aroma. I've always had problems getting nice aroma.)
The mouthfeel of DFH 60 seemed a lot more "crisp" to me.

I did only pitch one packet of yeast.

Is the "syrupy" mouthfeel usually only related to FG? Or could it be other things that I could change.

Would love to make this recipe again.
I don't know. It shouldn't be syrupy, and should have finished lower than 1.020. You didn't happen to do a smaller boil, and then top off with water to bring you to 5 gallons? Maybe that could cause a beer to be "syrupy" but I haven't experienced that. If you have to do a smaller boil, try adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil and see if that reduces the syrupy-ness. (Is that a word?)

Old 07-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #639
gmtech825
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, the nugget will be fine. I think centennial is great, too, so it'll be different than my recipe but I bet just as good. I am a huge fan of amarillo, though, so make sure you get some when you can and try a beer with amarillo late hopping. It's probably my current favorite hop, and the amarillo/simcoe combo is my all time favorite combo.

As for the biscuit malt as a sub for amber malt, that's fine. Amber malt (the Thomas Fawcett one) is bascially the same thing as biscuit malt.
i have made a batch according to the regular recipe with amarillo. it was awesome. thats why im a little annoyed that i couldn't get any.

I blame the media blamers

Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #640
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just bottled the all grain version of this on the weekend. This was my first big all grain beer and I totally missed my numbers, started with ~22L OG 1.054, wound up with a FG 1.007. Live and learn I guess.
However my dry hopping went a little long due to life getting in the way, almost 2 weeks. Will this cause any adverse effects? The sample at bottling tasted pretty good, with a strong amarillo aroma and simco aftertaste.

Quick Reply