Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #81
scopey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

heh, nice label for your "Hoof Hearted IPA" there, DubbelDach. Strange, but pretty funny. Guess one has to have kids to understand fully...

Haven't seen Two Hearted beers around these parts, so I'll have to attempt this clone. For those who've had it, is it kinda similar to Stone's Ruination? Both rely heavily on centennial hops (exclusively for Two Hearted, Ruination uses Magnum for bittering).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #82
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

To me it tastes a lot more citrusy than Ruination, but I'll crack open a bottle of both now and compare.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #83
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopey View Post
heh, nice label for your "Hoof Hearted IPA" there, DubbelDach. Strange, but pretty funny. Guess one has to have kids to understand fully...
2 words: Family Guy!

Hulu - Family Guy: Crack Licker

Hulu - Family Guy: The Horse Is Here

Quote:
Haven't seen Two Hearted beers around these parts, so I'll have to attempt this clone. For those who've had it, is it kinda similar to Stone's Ruination? Both rely heavily on centennial hops (exclusively for Two Hearted, Ruination uses Magnum for bittering).
Two Hearted is made by Bell's... There aren't "Two Hearted beers". Just so you're not barking up the wrong tree!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #84
scopey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
To me it tastes a lot more citrusy than Ruination, but I'll crack open a bottle of both now and compare.
oh no you di'int! Or, if you did I wanna hear about it!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #85
joety

Recipes 

Quote:
oh no you di'int! Or, if you did I wanna hear about it!
I went to try and I'm out of Ruination.

Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC

Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #86
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
Thanks for the awesome review DD. I'm glad you like it. It's quickly becoming my house IPA. I agree that it needs to be lightly sweeter. Maybe bump the mash a little. I'll try that with my next batch.

Thanks for brewing it!!!!
Bumping the mash may just do it... Hope I wrote down what temp I locked in at! Would a touch of malto-dextrin do anything positive?

As I think more about perceived "juciness" I had when tasting the Bell's, compared to the slight "harshness" of my hops... I am thinking I might back slightly off the 60 minute bittering addition, and dry hop more... Or maybe do the bittering addition at 30 instead of 60... Thoughts?

I am so scared everytime I pull one... I have to be very close to finishing it...

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #87
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I have mine kegged and will be putting it on gas and trying it in about 2 weeks, did an ounce of dry hop in the secondary and it came down to 1.013 so it's around 7.6% abv which is a bit high.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #88
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2276 Times on 1622 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Darn it, I went to LHBS this weekend and picked up a few pounds of grains. I didn't make a list because it was a spur-of-them-moment kind of thing (needed a car part that I felt I was lucky to find in-state).

Anyway, I didn't get any vienna, and so that is the only thing I am missing to do this recipe. I better order it online and I can harvest some two-hearted while I'm waiting for it!

On a plus note, I DID pick up some two-hearted and Ruination while I was there, so I can do a comparison. Scratch that. I picked up some Ruination and some HOPSLAM!

I'm a wimp, so I better get some help comparing or I'll be in trouble.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #89
dmaher
Recipes 

Brewed eschatz recipe yesterday. While buying my supplies at the store yesterday the owner of the store told me to use SF-05 rather than Danstar Nottingham. He said the yeast counts were much greater. Nevertheless I used Nottingham. I have always used Wyeast or WL so this was my first venture with dry. Eschatz, any reason that you chose Nottingham over a traditional American Ale yeast like a WLP001 or WLP051 or the Wyeast 1056? Seems like a lot of the TH clones call for one of these America Ale yeasts. Just asking. I noticed you started with SF-04 and switched to Nottingham so maybe you have already been down this road.

I to am a huge TH fan and I'd love to nail this recipe. I have a TH extract clone on tap that turned out fair. I have a TH all grain on secondary. Used the same grain bill as eschatz but used a mix of Cent and Cascade hopes and WLP051. I got the Cent/Casc hop schedule from a post here that claimed they had talked to someone at the Bell's store.

Let's all continue to fine tune the TH until we really nail it. I'd love to have this on tap 365.

Last edited by dmaher; 06-07-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #90
joety

Recipes 

If you want to truly nail it, just propogate the yeast from a couple bottles of the real thing. That's what I did and I am very happy with the results.

Lagering in Kegs - None

Quick Reply