Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #761
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui

See,y you had me until you called all grain 'easy'.... I have yet to break 55% efficiency, and it's pretty darn frustrating.
I didn't either. Until I bought a Barley Crusher. AG became more predictable and easier after i did. Aside from controlling fermentation temps I think it was the best AG investment you can make. Just my 2 cents.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #762
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin
looks like your crush is fairly coarse. If the mill is adjustable, tighten that baby up!

If not, a double crush would probably hep out a lot.
+1

Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #763
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Just FYI for those in this thread who have been talking with me about my efficiency, did an AG cream ale today (2-row, pilsen, a bit of corn, late dextrose added to the boil), and hit a mash efficiency of almost 80%. The double crush, along with a longer mash and better sparge temps seems to have made a huge, huge difference. Thanks!

Also, to keep on topic, about to bottle (tomorrow) my brew of the recipe in this thread. Tastes fairly close, not quite, but I'm guessing my efficiency issues probably had something to do with that.

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #764
mn_rookie
Recipes 

Hey guy's!

Have posted since I started my very first brew. Went off of a BTH clone recipe I found and converted it to an LME and specialty grain mix of my own. The smells coming from the airlock are tremendous. I am more than excited to start second fermentation and get to bottling. I wet and bought a gallon carboy set up (seven bucks including the stop and airlock!) I'm going to experiment a little. I'm going to use one gallon to add a little kick while dry hoping by adding some jalapeño to the mix. Only one gallon out of the 5.5 so I don't ruin my original plot but try something that will add a bite on the tongue. Can't wait! Og was 1.087 and the airlock is very very very slow burping right now so in a few days time I take my final og reading to figure when fermentation is complete. Thanks to all that helped me along the ay wib my first brew. Can't wait to start the second (Cascade, Simcoe, and Citra mix along with a caramel crystal grain mix and north western dark lme) when this guy goes to the second stage.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #765
aknox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been reading through this thread and will continue to do so while at work, but have not come across my question yet. Has anyone tried this recipe with Citra instead of Centennial? I have three pounds in the freezer and was thinking about trying it out.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #766
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

It might be good, but would certainly not taste like Bells 2H. Citra is very tropical and very up front and personal. I'm sure it would make a good IPA, but I would probably throw in another hop variety or two if it were me.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #767
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

This turned out to be one of my favorite beers I've brewed so far. Thanks for the recipe!!

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #768
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknox View Post
I've been reading through this thread and will continue to do so while at work, but have not come across my question yet. Has anyone tried this recipe with Citra instead of Centennial? I have three pounds in the freezer and was thinking about trying it out.
What solbes said. It will make a good IPA, but it won't be a Two Hearted.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #769
TOWEYWACKER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started AG brewing about 3 months ago, and decided (after a couple bad brews) that my water was the culprit of bad tastes. I decided to immerse myself into the world of creating water profiles from DI/RO water, and never looked back. Beers "came alive" once I decided to do this. I recommend reading the "Primer" thread in the Beer Science section. Back on December 14th, I brewed this beer, and I am enjoying it right now. If you are someone that is, or is thinking of creating water profiles for beers, here are my additions. I used distilled water, and added 1g CaCl2 and 3g gypsum. This put my pH at 5.52 at room temp. (which is real close to 5.2 at mash temp.) I also decided to dry hop with 1 ounce Centennial AND 1 ounce Cascade for 6 days. I then cold crashed with the dry hops for an additional 3 days. Turned out awesome! The CaCl2 and gypsum additions put your Ca at 58 ppm and SO4 at 106 ppm. Many believe that SO4 is great at around 100 ppm for IPAs. Just wanted to share this for those who want to brew with DI/RO water. Cheers

Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #770
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_rookie View Post
Hey guy's! Went off of a BTH clone recipe I found and converted it to an LME and specialty grain mix of my own. ....(Cascade, Simcoe, and Citra mix along with a caramel crystal grain mix and north western dark lme) when this guy goes to the second stage.
Would you care to share the LME recipe?

That would probably help a bunch of the extract brewers.

Thanks,
Bill

Quick Reply