Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
meck1842
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
meck1842 - your timing couldn't have been better for me here. Plan to do this basic recipe using the Clonebrews version. The oats issue was throwing me for a loop. Glad to hear they can be steeped. I'll probably toast them tomorrow night and let sit til brew day on Sunday - Mosher's "Radical Brewing" talks about the need to let some of the harshness waft away. He recommends 2 weeks, but I don't have that kind of time or patience .

Clonebrews version has gotten criticized for being weak and not all that dark. Wondering about adding some extra roasted barley (they only call for 3 oz) or maybe some black patent malt? I'm less interested in cloning Samuel Smith than I am in making a quality oatmeal stout.

I can do full boil as well - hoping my hop substitute (Fuggles) doesn't result in too much hop utilization. Will back it down to 1.5 oz perhaps from the original 2.0 EKG in the Clonebrews book. Any thoughts appreciated.
I'm not familiar with the recipe you're talking about, so I can't comment on it too much. If you proceed with it, please post the recipe and how it turns out. The recipe I've posted is definitely a great starting point, but it could still be better. I've just made the conversion to all grain so I will be using an all-grain conversion of the recipe as a starting point for my next stout...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 125

meck1842 - I was referring to your OP recipe. I went ahead yesterday and did the partial mash version instead (first ever partial mash) and it was a pretty huge success I think. My OG was spot on (1.050) and I compared the wort color to an actual Samuel Smith oatmeal stout and they were pretty identical. Taste of wort was verrrry smooth and was definitely in not only the same ballpark, but the same section as the SS. Hoping some time in the fermenter puts it in the same row. Bubbling away in carboy this am.

If I may ask 2 brief followup questions:
1. did you rack to secondary and if so at what point?
2. did you use the wheat DME for carbonating as recommended by Clonebrews?

Thanks,
MD

Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
meck1842
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats on a successful brew day! I still have not even had a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout but I think after work today I will find one and compare.

To answer your questions, the first one is a pretty huge debate if you do some reading on the forums. I have found best results in mid to lower OG beers doing 7 days in primary, then racking to secondary for 14 days. I then cold crash for a day or 2 and put it in the keg. Which answers your second question... I keg so I can't talk from experience, but wheat DME sounds like it would work perfect!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Thanks meck - Hope you enjoy that original SS Oatmeal Stout - its incredibly smooth and silky. If someone goes into that one expecting a harsher, acidic, roasted coffee kick in the teeth, well that's not the stout for that.

I've done a lot of reading about secondaries and will probably forego it with this lower abv beer. Used irish moss last 10 min of boil, fwiw. Congrats on the keg setup, that's ideal. I may split the priming, 2.5 gal DME and 2.5 gal corn sugar, just to experiment. I have a Mr Beer fermenter that could sub nicely as a small batch bottling bucket. Brew on!

*Edit - Oh, and congrats also on going all-grain!

Quick Reply