Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - None More Black Vanilla Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #271
herc1354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Just brewed a 10 gallons on Saturday, this was an all grain version, I've brewed the extract version and if was amazing! When I transfer to secondary 5 gallons will sit on oak Chips and vanilla Beans soaked in bourbon while the other 5 gallons will secondary on top of coco nibs vanilla beans and coffee. Here is a shot of my buddies watching the brewing process, the dude on the right is my brew buddy, behind them is the brew rig.

image-261384619.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #272
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

Going to go ahead and brew an all grain version of this next week when I have a spare carboy. I'm thinking soak oak and vanilla in makers mark for a few weeks and than secondary it. 152 for the mash sound right? Going to use us05 at 60 for the primary.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #273
herc1354
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupidacabra
Going to go ahead and brew an all grain version of this next week when I have a spare carboy. I'm thinking soak oak and vanilla in makers mark for a few weeks and than secondary it. 152 for the mash sound right? Going to use us05 at 60 for the primary.
When I plugged this brew into beer smith the estimated gravity is 1.065, I hit 1.066 at completion of the boil for a 10 gal brew.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #274
johnsnownw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupidacabra View Post
I just made a porter with Maker's...and wasn't happy with the amount of flavor imparted. If you can swing it, try using "Cask Strength" Bourbon. I think that would give a more authentic bourbon barrel presence, than the watered down Maker's. Just a suggestion.

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever http://www.jvandike.com

Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #275
Chupidacabra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsnownw

I just made a porter with Maker's...and wasn't happy with the amount of flavor imparted. If you can swing it, try using "Cask Strength" Bourbon. I think that would give a more authentic bourbon barrel presence, than the watered down Maker's. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the heads up. Will see what I can do.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #276
sak1134
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed a batch and have had it sitting in the secondary for about a week. I used home made vanilla extract and added a few of the beans from our extract bottle. Due to my late start and the need to have it on tap for our thanksgiving gathering I'm going to keg it a bit earlier than I normally would. Would there be any harm in tossing the beans into the keg to keep adding to the vanilla flavor?

Steve

Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #277
johnsnownw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak1134 View Post
Just brewed a batch and have had it sitting in the secondary for about a week. I used home made vanilla extract and added a few of the beans from our extract bottle. Due to my late start and the need to have it on tap for our thanksgiving gathering I'm going to keg it a bit earlier than I normally would. Would there be any harm in tossing the beans into the keg to keep adding to the vanilla flavor?

Steve
Probably not, for the amount of time the beer will be in the keg. However, dependent on how long the beans were in the extract, they may have already contributed all their flavor. So...lets say the beans were in the alcohol for around 8 weeks...then they are most likely not going to contribute anything to the beer.

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever http://www.jvandike.com

Old 11-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #278
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Only drawback I see is they may get pulled into the pick up tube and block it....I doubt you'll get any contribution though. I soak my beans for 3 days then rack the wort on them for 7-14 days.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #279
herc1354
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc1354
Just brewed a 10 gallons on Saturday, this was an all grain version, I've brewed the extract version and if was amazing! When I transfer to secondary 5 gallons will sit on oak Chips and vanilla Beans soaked in bourbon while the other 5 gallons will secondary on top of coco nibs vanilla beans and coffee. Here is a shot of my buddies watching the brewing process, the dude on the right is my brew buddy, behind them is the brew rig.
This beer has been in kegs for a month, it is freaking amazing and almost gone, need to brew more

Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #280
Robisbrewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I made the extract version but think I made a huge error. Previously I have only used kits, this was my first extract. Followed instructions regarding steeping fine, the recipe then just says 'boil'. I now realize that the boil was probably meant to have the liquid malt/DME added Basically my boil liquid was just the product of the patent/barley steep in 2 gallons of water. I added the liquid and dry malts to the primary.

Put this brew down yesterday and it is bubbling away so I will let it run its course unless someone have a great suggestion. I was really just after some speculation about whether it will taste ok.

I did the numbers and my hop extraction would have been in a gravity of about 1.005. Does this mean my stout might turn out much too bitter? Kinda gutted as this was also my first try with liquid yeast (wyeast 1084) so it was a relatively time consuming and expensive one to muck up.

Quick Reply