Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - "Boondock" Irish Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #51
mgortel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i am brewing this up right now....some minor adjustments.....just got done steeping fgrains...and man oh man does that smell and look delicious!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #52
keithfitzpatrick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgortel View Post
"4 Lbs (Medium) Pale Extract"

is there a MEDIUM?? I cant seem to find it...Im a noob of course....

What about using a Dark Malt Extract instead?
I'm not the expert here, but I think Dark Malt Extract probably contains some crystal and some black malts already in it. So you may want to subtract some or all out of the original recipe if you are going to use it.

I'd probably take out all the crystal and maybe a bit of the black roasted barley (still leave about 1.5lbs) but honestly, that's just a SWAG. If you get the exact makeup of the dark malt extract, you can probably be a bit more exact.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #53
michiganbob
Recipes 

Brewed up a batch of this yesterday. Had to make a couple substitutions, and I went with the British Ale II yeast. I can't wait to get this one in the keg! I'll let you know how it turns out. =)

Old 10-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #54
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

just brewed this again, using White Labs Irish Ale yeast. Craziest blowoff I've ever had, for sure. smells delicious though.

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 AM   #55
mirage137
Recipes 

Brewed this last week as my introductory 1st batch in homebrewing, with the exception of a Mr Beer kit my wife got me last year xmas time. Hit an OG of 1.060 and checked on it last night after 6 days with an gravity of 1.016. During my first brew I hit a few bumps, I never got my wort to a good steady boil, it was steaming real good but didn't get boiling til about the end. My LHBS didn't have any Target hops so I subbed in with Chinook (HP25) pellets, when I put those in my wort boiled over pretty good so there is one lesson learned.

Then for chilling my wort, I got it down to around 75 before I poured it into the primary, took about half hour to 45 minutes, honestly couldn't tell you how long but it felt around that. Used a semi ice bath in the sink and kept swirling it around and running cold water around it. When I finally got it in the primary, yeast pitched and airlock in, I stored it in the basement which sits around 65-68. This is about 7pm Sunday night, checked it in the morning, didn't see any action. Came back after work, it was going pretty good and starting to pop off the airlock cap. I started freaking out, came on here, read about the blowoff and then figured out what the big tube I got in my kit was for. (LOL) Yeah so I quick sanitized the end that was going into the primary and everything was good.

So far looks good though, I'm one of those people though that can read all I want but won't get the process down until I do it so. Learned alot in this first brew and now can't wait for the next one. Just for kicks when I crack one of these open, I'll have to watch the movie. I'll have to try the modified recipe with the chocolate minus the flaked barley.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #56
BEAR89
Recipes 

Default Top 3

I've been brewing on and off for about 3 years now and after looking for a good Stout to brew I decided on this one. I followed the Original recipe, accept when i put her in the secondary I added 2 quarts water with 1/2lb Extra Dark French Roast Coffee steeped for 15 minutes along with 1/2 cup of Dagoba Cacao powder.

This was my first brew to keg and use my beer fridge... for the original reason i bought it. This is without a doubt a repeat! My Girlfriend, Whom only likes lambic, has been drinking this with me.

Dark, Hearty, Sweet Chocolaty slap in the face followed by a subtle strike of coffee to finish it off. Stout at its best. Black with a slight reddish tint. The more I type to closer to the tap Im getting.

If you're looking for a good stout to enjoy this holiday go with this 'Boondock' Stout.

Cheers

Old 12-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #57
bear65
Recipes 

will the strong coffee taste mellow with age in my coopers irish stout (man it taste like black coffee when i was bottling)

Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #58
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I brewed this with the following recipe that I modified slightly here and there from this post.

10lbs Marris Otter
1.5lbs Roasted Barley
1lbs Cara-pils
.5lbs Crystal 80
.5lbs Chocolate malt
.5lbs Maltodextrin (added to boil)

1oz Fuggles @ 4.8% AA - 60 minutes
1oz Kent Goldings @ 4.2% AA (?) - 30 minutes.

Water treated 12 hours prior with Campden tablets.

Batch size = 5 gal
Dough in with 1.75qt/lb = 23.625qt
Batch sparge = 20 qt
Collect 7.5 gal

60 minute boil (I have a widemouth 15 gal pot, boil off is quite excessive)
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.018 estimated

IBU = 19 - 25

Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #59
curtisj
Recipes 

I am new and I do not quite understand the SRM and 80L after the grains.
What am I looking for with that

Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #60
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always wanted to make my own stout so you guys had me with this one! I will do a few minor mods and got about half of the ingredients today.

I will use:

.5 lb Crystal 120 Malt
.5 lb Muntons Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Muntons Black Roasted Malt

7 lb light LME
8 oz Maltodextrin

WLP 004 Irish Ale Yeast

1 oz Fuggles at 60 min
1 oz Kent Goldings at 20 min

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Quick Reply