Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #301
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff

I will... I'll do the 3 days in a row hydrometer thing (I usually just wait a month in primary and then bottle). It went from 1.035 to 1.012 in 2.5 days, so I think I'm getting down pretty quick.
I would cold crash as soon as you hit FG. It will clear the sucker right up before bottling.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #302
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc103 View Post
I would cold crash as soon as you hit FG. It will clear the sucker right up before bottling.
It's finishing around 1012... to be expected with the WLP005, I guess. I can only drop the temp to 60F degrees, though, because I only have a water bath to work with. Good news is it'd pretty damn drinkable straight from the fermenter!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #303
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Great brew Orfy. This is my new house favorite.

pandas are bears

Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #304
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just wanted to update on mine... it's been conditioning about 6 weeks now and it tastes better and better. It's my go-to lunch beer! And the 2.5-3.0% abv actually affects me more like a 4%, so it's really not an issue.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #305
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So....My LHBS only has US chocolate and crystal. They DO have Maris Otter.

Would this turn out ok? The chocolate is 500 Lov. And we're talking normal Nottingham not windsor right?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #306
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldevi View Post
So....My LHBS only has US chocolate and crystal. They DO have Maris Otter.

Would this turn out ok? The chocolate is 500 Lov. And we're talking normal Nottingham not windsor right?
I've found Briess crystal and roasted malts to be inferior to British counterparts for English-style ales. I'm not sure about other maltsters.

For example, Fawcett Crystal II (about 57-65L) is uniformly coloured and rich in flavor. Briess crystal 60 is mottled and not uniform; it looks very much like a blend of darker and lighter crystals were blended to get the right "balance."

Most English chocolate malts are the requisite 375-450L while Briess standard chocolate comes in at a pallid 350L. If I have to use Briess chocolate, I usually have to use more or add some de-bittered black malt to color-correct.

All of this said, you will still make a lovely mild with U.S. ingredients...I would venture a guess that a large percentage of US brewers who brew this recipe use domestic specialty grains.

To your yeast question, yes, use Notty. Windsor, by many reports, takes a long time to clear, and this beer is very good very young.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #307
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Brewed this on the 26 of Oct. So tomorrow will 13 days. I cant decide if I should keg this tomorrow and have it ready for the weekend or wait another week.

Help me decide. lol

Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #308
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldevi View Post
Brewed this on the 26 of Oct. So tomorrow will 13 days. I cant decide if I should keg this tomorrow and have it ready for the weekend or wait another week.

Help me decide. lol
As has been said elsewhere, this recipe drinks best when young. I know when I made it the first two weeks from the keg were the best, and after that it was merely good-to-OK.

-Rich
Kegged: Red Rye Ale | empty
On Deck: TBD
BrandonBrews Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #309
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

I'd like to give this recipe a shot this weekend, but I'm going to have to attempt it with a little bit different grains, due to availability. Would any of these be viable replacements? I tried doing some L to SRM calculations, and ordered the following grains:

Briess Chocolate Malt
Thomas Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
Briess Caramel Malt 60L
Bairds Medium Crystal Malt

I'm also going to have to use GWM Northwest Pale Ale Malt in place of Maris Otter, not sure if that will change the above recommendation.

Which combination would you recommend? I'm not planning to use all of them, but I ordered a few pounds of each so I would have the option of choosing.

Thanks!

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #310
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandena View Post
I'd like to give this recipe a shot this weekend, but I'm going to have to attempt it with a little bit different grains, due to availability. Would any of these be viable replacements? I tried doing some L to SRM calculations, and ordered the following grains:

Briess Chocolate Malt
Thomas Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
Briess Caramel Malt 60L
Bairds Medium Crystal Malt

I'm also going to have to use GWM Northwest Pale Ale Malt in place of Maris Otter, not sure if that will change the above recommendation.

Which combination would you recommend? I'm not planning to use all of them, but I ordered a few pounds of each so I would have the option of choosing.

Thanks!
Anyone? I'm running out of time.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Quick Reply