Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Mild - Best of Show New England Regional Homebrew Competition 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Bacon488
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mild - Best of Show New England Regional Homebrew Competition 2011

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-04
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.037
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 22
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 67F
Tasting Notes: Malty, roasty, nutty, chocolatey, biscuity goodness with surprising body for low ABV

In the fall of 2011 my brother and I went from a vague notion of brewing something quick to formulating a recipe and then brewing it over the course of a single day. We went with a low-gravity English Mild and S-04 yeast to help us achieve our goals of maximum flavor-to-gravity ratio, fast fermentation, and strong flocculation because we wanted to serve it at a gathering two weeks later.

Imagine our shock when we entered this 3.3% ABV whim into our first ever competition and it won BOS.

Ingredients:

5.0 lb Maris Otter 3L
1.0 lb Victory 25L
0.5 lb Chocolate 450L
0.5 lb Crystal 60L

1.25 oz East Kent Goldings 4.50% AA

Steps:

Mash @ 150F

1.25 oz East Kent Goldings 60 min

Add Whirlfloc in last 5 min.

Whirlpool and chill, then oxygenate (we use a stone).

Rehydrate one packet S-04 yeast in ~90F water and pitch.

Ferment at 67F - fermentation should only take a few days.

Diacetyl rest in the low 70s for a few days to make sure the yeast clean up after themselves.

Keg or bottle and carbonate to only about 1.3 volumes. Serve at cellar temperature for best experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 121

That looks good; I like to keep low gravity browns on tap most of the time and this looks like a good one to try sometime. That's quite a thing to win BOS with a mild. Congratulations!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Just stuck five gallons of this in my fermenter, and I'm looking forward to trying it. I may also lay a bottle or two on friends who think the ABV of my saisons is a bit much...

I diverged from the recipe in a couple of places: 1.5 oz of hops instead of 1.25, and I pitched the yeast directly into the yeast per the instructions on the package. That was sheer laziness; I've had a long, hot day.

I started out bottle washing, so I could bottle a saison that's been in the primary longer than I planned. While I was at it, I scrubbed up enough for this batch too, and some of them were Samuel Smith bottles with the foil on the neck. I generally don't reuse bottles that have a brewery name on them, but I decided these were too appropriate for the style to pass up.

Have I ever mentioned I hate foil? I used lots of Oxiclean (well, Sun Oxygen Cleaner at a fraction of the price), dish soap and hot water, and I had to scrape a lot of it anyway. Nothing more fun than hanging over an outdoor sink of hot water, on a summer day in the desert....

After I bottled the saison, I started mashing this mild. First time I've used the mash tun I put together from an Igloo drink cooler, and I'm pleased with it. But the recipe uses less grain than I'm used to, and I had to add an extra quart of strike water to cover the thermometer. If I start doing more milds I'll probably move the thermometer down a couple of inches, and plug the old hole.

While I was mashing, I started to add sugar to a petite saison I forgot to prime when I bottled it. But I guess it got tired of waiting, and started carbonating a little anyway. When I opened one up I got a bit of foam, and when I added the sugar I got a geyser. So much for that - I'm going to just leave the rest of it alone for a while, and see how far it gets on its own.

To round off the day, I didn't have the hoses for my immersion chiller and pre-chiller with me, and had to settle for an ice bath. Which is really no big deal; it wasn't so long ago that an ice bath was the only option I had, before I made my chillers. But I felt misused and abused anyway...

The color is good, and I liked the taste of the sample. I skipped the OG reading so I guess I'll have to live without ever knowing my ABV, but I'm pretty sure it was in the ballpark. I had a good crush; my mash tun held the temp's between 151 and 148; and I wound up with exactly five gallons in my carboy and less than two cups in my brew kettle. Half of that was crud even though I had my hops in a bag; apparently Whirlfloc really does precipitate stuff. It's my first time using it; I've always been pretty casual about dumping everything into my fermenter and doing an extreme cold crash before bottling.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1277 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Looks nice. It's not too far off from my "house" Mild.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Pale Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild (Infected) Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
EJay
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I scaled this one down to a 1 gallon recipe and bought the grains yesterday. I presume the original recipe is 5G. I couldn't find EKG hops so I went with US Golding. Some of the grains I got were organic. I hope to brew it up this week. I've never had a mild, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJay View Post
I scaled this one down to a 1 gallon recipe and bought the grains yesterday. I presume the original recipe is 5G. I couldn't find EKG hops so I went with US Golding. Some of the grains I got were organic. I hope to brew it up this week. I've never had a mild, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Here's a good article on the style; I learned a lot from it.

https://byo.com/stories/item/1151-mi...s-not-dead-yet
Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update: 12 hours after pitching.

I pitched at 74 degrees, and set the fermenter at 67. It's at that temp now, and putting on quite a show as it swirls in the carboy. I'll miss that if I ever go to buckets...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg English mild 007.jpg (28.4 KB, 145 views)

Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Rdom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
Here's a good article on the style; I learned a lot from it.

https://byo.com/stories/item/1151-mi...s-not-dead-yet
Thanks for the link. Enjoyed the article.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
EJay
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
Update: 12 hours after pitching.

I pitched at 74 degrees, and set the fermenter at 67. It's at that temp now, and putting on quite a show as it swirls in the carboy. I'll miss that if I ever go to buckets...
What are you doing for an airlock on that?

Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJay View Post
What are you doing for an airlock on that?
I'm using a waterless silicone airlock. Some people call them vented stoppers....

I'm keeping an eye on the krausen, though. If it gets too high, I'll slap on a blow-off tube instead.

add: It's basically a stopper with holes in it, and a flapper valve that covers them. This link has a good picture of one disassembled: http://www.homebrewers.com/product/F...e-Airlock.html

Quick Reply