American Amber Ale Rear Tyre (Fat Tire clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelRinger

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days @ 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
SxS with Fat Tire: RT is a bit darker and slightly more hop flavor. Very close.
8 lbs 12 oz - Briess 2-row Brewer's Malt
1 lbs - Caramel Munich
8 oz. - Briess 2-row Caramel 80
6 oz. - Briess Victory
6 oz. - Biscuit
2 oz. - Crisp Pale Chocolate Malt
Target UK pellet - .5 oz @ 60 min.
Williamette pellet - .5 oz. @ 10 min.
Kent Golding UK pellet - .5 oz @ flameout

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes.

Batch Sparge @ 170 degrees to get 6.5 gallons of pre-boil wort. Strain wort when transferring to primary. This gets rid of most of the hops and oxygenates the wort thoroughly.

Pitch yeast (no starter) at 75 degrees and primary for 30 days @ 70 degrees.

Bottle with 5 oz of priming sugar.

In a side by side taste test with Fat Tire I have made the following observations.

1. Rear Tyre is slightly darker with a tan head, vs. the white head of Fat Tire.
2. Rear Tyre head is longer lasting with a lingering off-white lacing that lasts until the pint is gone.
3. Rear Tyre has a slightly more bitter hop flavor than Fat Tire. I believe it might be due to the Williamette hops, but it isn't overpowering or harsh.
4. Taste-wise, they are two very similar beers. I would have to say that the Rear Tyre is a bit smoother overall, however.

This beer is going to be a staple in my lineup. We had a team event at work and everyone loved it.

Hey,
Glad I came across this. How does it compare to the original in terms of that nice rosary biscuit nose that fat tire has (my favorite thing about it)?

Rear Tyre has kind-of the same bready, biscuit nose with the very faint hop smell that Fat Tire has. If I had to say, I would say that Rear Tyre has even more of a malty nose than the original.

Hope that helps.

I don't have the extract version. However I do have the recipe loaded in Beersmith and I believe that it can convert it. I will check tonight.

Here is what BeerSmith converted to when converting the recipe above to extract.

7 lbs 12oz. - Pale Liquid Extract
12 oz. - Caramel Munich
6 oz. - Caramel/Crystal 80L
4.5 oz. - Caramel/Crystal 30L
5 oz. - Caramel/Crystal 20L
1.5 oz. - Chocolate Malt
Target UK pellet - .5 oz @ 60 min.
Williamette pellet - .5 oz. @ 10 min.
Kent Golding UK pellet - .5 oz @ flameout

Put specialty grains in a bag and steep in 2.5 gallons of water for 20 minutes @150. Strain and sparge with 2L of water @170.

Add Extract and bring to boil. Add hops per schedule.

Cool wort to around 100 degrees and add to enough water to get 5.5 gallons.

Pitch yeast (no starter) at 70-75 degrees and primary for 30 days @ 70 degrees.

Bottle with 5 oz of priming sugar.

Far be it from me to argue with beersmith, but I would drop the temp on that ferment to 66 to 68 at max, at least for days 2 through 5 or so, then it can climb to 70 after primary ferment happens. Just my .02

Far be it from me to argue with beersmith, but I would drop the temp on that ferment to 66 to 68 at max, at least for days 2 through 5 or so, then it can climb to 70 after primary ferment happens. Just my .02

Actually, in this case it isn't BeerSmith, that was my instruction. I held mine at 68-70 the entire time and it turned out as above, however holding it at 65-68 wouldn't be bad either.

I would bet that as long as it didn't get crazy warm, you shouldn't have an issue.

I'd swap out the chocolate malt and add 8oz Carapils to fix the difference in head and color.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back