Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
PacMan yeast.... Dead Guy is a maibock, correct? Or is it an ale? What I'm getting at is, does PacMan need lagered? I was always confused about this because Dead Guy used to be Maier-bock, correct?
According to Rogue;

Quote:
Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogues proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast.
Nothing about lagering it....I didn't when I made my last batch with 1338 and don't plan on doing it to this batch with harvested pacman....But I am going to ferment it in the low 60's, using the t-shirt water bath method.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Right- it's called a "maibock style ale" on the website. I ferment it cool, like 60-62, but not lager temps.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brewing this recipe today. Here's what I am doing...

12 lbs Marris Otter

13 Ounces Cara Munich

13 Ounces Munich

7 Ounces 40L

1 oz Pearle 60 min

.25 oz Pearle 30 min

.25 Pearle 5 min

.25 Saaz 5 min

1056 American Ale

I won't be Pitching until tomorrow as I haven't made my starter yet Anywho, I'll let you guys know how my numbers come out when I am done. I just added my Strike water to the Mash Tun. So far, So good.

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Bee Cave Kolsch, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #24
Kugster

Recipes 

I did a batch a while back...kegging it this week, but my fermenting temp was high..around 70-75. When I racked to my secondary I had a VREY strong alcahol taste...it's been conditioning now for just about 4 weeks. Does anyone think that the high ferm temp could have messed with it?

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Secondary 1....Blackeye IIPA
Secondary 2........Mikita's BB Wheat
Conditioning.....
Tap 1.............Spooky's Stout
Tap 2.............Rico's Red

DogBone Brewery

If you get confused listen to the music play! - Robert Hunter

Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugster View Post
I did a batch a while back...kegging it this week, but my fermenting temp was high..around 70-75. When I racked to my secondary I had a VREY strong alcahol taste...it's been conditioning now for just about 4 weeks. Does anyone think that the high ferm temp could have messed with it?

Definitely. High fermentation temperatures often cause fusel alcohols to develop. They don't age out, but the aging might help smooth it out some.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:

Well high fermentation temps, do cause the presence of fusil alcohols, which produce the "hot" alcohol taste....My last batch was in the same temp range, and it did have a bit of that bite to it, but I liked it.

This current batch of mine I pitched with the harvested Pacman, and I kept it in an ice/water bath and kept the fermentation temp below 70 degrees (the brewer for rogue likes to brew it in the low 60's)

So we'll see. I won't know for several more weeks, since I'm letting it sit on the yeast cake for a month.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #27
Kugster

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well high fermentation temps, do cause the presence of fusil alcohols, which produce the "hot" alcohol taste....My last batch was in the same temp range, and it did have a bit of that bite to it, but I liked it.

This current batch of mine I pitched with the harvested Pacman, and I kept it in an ice/water bath and kept the fermentation temp below 70 degrees (the brewer for rogue likes to brew it in the low 60's)

So we'll see. I won't know for several more weeks, since I'm letting it sit on the yeast cake for a month.
I did do the water bath but found out a little late about adding frozen bottles of water to the bath...I don't think that it was too hot but with this strain of yeast it may have been...I also thought that the large amounts of fermentables could have givin that taste too? Going to keg tonight...so like you said Revvy...we'll see!

Cheers!

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Conditioning.....

DogBone Brewery

Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #28
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
I did do the water bath but found out a little late about adding frozen bottles of water to the bath...I don't think that it was too hot but with this strain of yeast it may have been...I also thought that the large amounts of fermentables could have givin that taste too? Going to keg tonight...so like you said Revvy...we'll see!

Cheers!
I love it...so much that I went through my 2 cases in almost no time DESPITE having 3 other beers in the pipeline.

I have a mix of 2 liter and smaller bottles in the freezer that I use in the bath, it works like a charm...just swap them out and re-freeze.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #29
Kugster

Recipes 

well...all is good!!

No strong alcahol taste or smell...mellowed out real well. (didn't mean to ryme) Tastes great and very filling!!!

this one might become a reg for the keg! (that one I ment)

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Conditioning.....

DogBone Brewery

Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #30
sdhucks7

Recipes 

Ok i am going to brew this recipe this weekend. One little problem. Neither of my local HBS's have any of the yeasts that are mentioned in this thread. Are there any other yeasts that I could try that would work as well? I am a big fan of Dead Guy Ale and dont want to mess this one up. Thanks in advance.

SD

Quick Reply