American Pale Ale Chain Mail Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteinCastle

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
safale 05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5-7days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5-14 days @68-70
Tasting Notes
Floral and fruity pale ale. Brew it and let us know what you think!!
Category: 10 - American Ale Subcategory: A - American Pale Ale

Efficiency: 75.0% Attenuation: 79.0%

CHAINMAIL PALE ALE:

Ingredients:

.5lb (7.4%) Vienna Malt; Weyermann - added before boil, steeped 60m
.5lb Maris Otter; Crisp - added before boil, steeped 60m
.25lb (3.7%) Caramel Malt 20L; Briess - added before boil, steeped 60m
5.5lb (81.5%) Dry Extra Light; Muntons - added during boil, 10min

.5oz (10.0%) Zythos™ (10.9%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0m
.75oz (15.0%) Ahtanum (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0m 1tsp

Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15.0m

.25oz (5.0%) Zythos™ (10.9%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0m
.25oz (5.0%) Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0m
.75oz (15.0%) Ahtanum (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0m
1*tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0m

.25oz (5.0%) Zythos™ (10.9%) - after boil
.75oz (15.0%) Centennial (9.2%) - after boil
.5oz (10.0%) Ahtanum (6.0%) - after boil

1oz (20.0%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Excellent pale ale brewed for our pilot brewpub. Try it and let us know what you think guys! Can add fermentation details if needed. Enjoy!

Sub 2row for dme for all grain...

1. Steep vienna and crystal malt @ 154F for 60min.
2. Pre heat in a separate pot 6.5 gal to 164F.
3. Pour malt sweet wort into boil water, and sparge by washing grain bag thru boil water. (teabag it)
4. Bring the 6.5 gal to boil, boil for 45min and follow hop schedule. Add DME at 10min mark.
5. Gelatin added to secondary after dry hopping for 5-14days (drop temp to 38F for 36hrs prior to addition.)
6. force carb @ 11psi for 10 days

Chainmail is one word. Unless you're talking post office type mail??

Otherwise, it looks quite tasty!

I understand Zythos is a blend C hops and other, less sought after hops, and is intended almost as a single hop for IPA style beers? I'd expect it to have Centennial in it. what's been your experience with it? I've never used it or Falc.Flight, TBH. I've always intended to pick some of each up and SMASH them.

Yes "chainmail" is one word, lol... and you are correct about zythos, has some characteristics of centennial, in my experience it imparts tangerine, citrusy, and pine notes. Substitute Amarillo, it was what we used before zythos ;) . JakenBacon, You should try our Brewbonic Plague Imperial stout ;)

Steincastle

chainmail.jpg

Just wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm new to the site and after quitting brewing for a year after a batch of gushers, I'm attempting to revive my love for brewing by making your Chainmail Pale Ale!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/salvaging-hobby-489618/index2.html

Here is a link to the thread that was started on this journey. I made it last night, so excited to see how this turns out. Thank you so much for the recipe.:mug:

Great to hear our recipe is your first back!! Let us know how it turns out for you.... Maybe we can get you a bottle of the original some day

Hi again! I just tried my first bottle of this to see how it was doing. I bottled one week ago and on day 7 (yesterday) I opened one just to see how it was doing and to appease my impatience. To my surprise it was carbonated beautifully, nice head, tastes amazing.

Absolutely in love. This will likely be my go to recipe whenever I am not trying something new. Thank you.

I like this recipe a lot! I have just purchased some Muntons LME (I'll do the conversion) and just ordered Centennial and Zythos by coincidence... Looks like we have a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It strikes me as odd to see Zythos used as a minor part of a blend. But if the results meet the goal then it doesn't matter much, does it?

I just made an all Zythos IPA. It's got a rich tropical fruit (pineapple, passion fruit) aroma by itself.

Gonna pull the trigger on this today. Doing a partial mash though, steeping some crystal 10 and 20 to add to 6.6#'s of LME and sticking with Zythos and Centennial (5ozs total!).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back