Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #2591
LAbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvin View Post
I used the recipe exactly as listed on the first page.
I chilled the wort with a plate chiller.

I do not have a cold or allergies.. it's very weird because when I first opened the beer, the aroma and flavor was great.
The only thing that comes to mind other than high storage temps is your water supply maybe tainted it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #2592
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Doing this tonight as my first BIAB batch, a partial volume boil. Using a little more hops (1oz at 30m instead of .5) to compensate for the smaller boil, but otherwise, right on with the recipe, EXCEPT... I accidentally bought 20L instead of 10L.

Worth making a trip across town, or just go with the 20L? Guessing the 20 will be fine, obviously a little bit darker, The malt comparison charts I've found have no discernable difference, other than color. It darkened it from 5SRM to 6SRM, when I put it into beersmith. Other than that, not much change in the numbers...

Thoughts?

Conditioning: Russian Imperial Stout
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast

Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #2593
scottvin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbrewer View Post
The only thing that comes to mind other than high storage temps is your water supply maybe tainted it?
I kept it in the basement the whole time - about 65 the warmest it get all year.

I filter the water before I use it in brewing but how could water supply taint it?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #2594
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

There could be tons of factors, the weird thing is that it tasted good going into the bottles. The only things that really make it worse over time AFAIK are things like oxidation, infections, etc. The rest would be bad going in. 4 months is a long time to wait to drink a pale ale, but it shouldn't taste like nothing.

The water might have had chlorine or chloramine in it, but I'm not familiar with how that affects things. Most people seem to think it adds a nasty medicinal flavor.

The only batch I've ever had like you're describing was an IPA made from an all-grain kit. The kit had sat on my shelf with crushed grains and room temp hops for about 3 months, and who knows how long in the store. I finally made it and the beer... Tasted like absolutely, positively nothing whatsoever. Carbonated nothingness.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #2595
scottvin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
There could be tons of factors, the weird thing is that it tasted good going into the bottles. The only things that really make it worse over time AFAIK are things like oxidation, infections, etc. The rest would be bad going in. 4 months is a long time to wait to drink a pale ale, but it shouldn't taste like nothing.

The water might have had chlorine or chloramine in it, but I'm not familiar with how that affects things. Most people seem to think it adds a nasty medicinal flavor.

The only batch I've ever had like you're describing was an IPA made from an all-grain kit. The kit had sat on my shelf with crushed grains and room temp hops for about 3 months, and who knows how long in the store. I finally made it and the beer... Tasted like absolutely, positively nothing whatsoever. Carbonated nothingness.
Well, there are only two bottles left (we drank most of it at the party three weeks after bottling) - but just got me wondering...

Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #2596
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Just got done with my first AG mash, starting the boil as soon as the water warms up.

I don't think I had a big enough pot, so my efficiency is awful. Waiting for my sample to cool, but probably below 60%... What would be the best way to repair it? I don't have DME on hand, but can run and get some if table sugar is goign to futz it up.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #2597
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'd say DME or just lower your final volume down so the SG is close to the target. Table sugar wont produce the same result at all.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #2598
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
Just got done with my first AG mash, starting the boil as soon as the water warms up.

I don't think I had a big enough pot, so my efficiency is awful. Waiting for my sample to cool, but probably below 60%... What would be the best way to repair it? I don't have DME on hand, but can run and get some if table sugar is goign to futz it up.
find your preboil quantity and gravity. then go here and enter values.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/allgrain-ogfg/
Fiddle with the batch size to scale the boil down quantity to 1.051 og.

At 60% 4.5 gallons is about right.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #2599
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Ended up adding DME until I got to 1.051, still hit my 5 gallon final volume. that'll be my last venture into all grain in a small apartment kitchen. partial mash all day, but i don't have room for any sort of efficient brewing at that volume. Bah.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #2600
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

My efficiency is off for some reason. I'd like to blame the milling. The first couple of times I brewed all grain I was over 80%. Now that I get my stuff from BMW, it is lower. May be a connection there. I eeked a 1.049 out of this one.

Quick Reply